Sunday, February 13, 2011

Rice Krispy Heart Pops

Rice Krispy Heart Pops for my love...

I've had strong aversions to sweets lately. The smell alone makes me well, a bit nauseous. But what would Valentine's day be without a chocolaty treat? And because my son is having a Valentine's day party at his pre-school, I had to endure the lovely aroma of chocolate and butter which normally I adore.

I was originally going to make cake pops, but decided I wanted to make something simpler. Rice krispy treats are a classic and is enjoyed by many. Dip it in chocolate and bam, you have chocolaty, buttery, rice krispy goodness.  I was tempted to use Nutella but remembered that one of my son's classmates has a peanut allergy. So I opted for chocolate.

I made original rice krispies dipped in milk chocolate and I also made chocolate rice krispies and decided to keep those plain. The hardest part is dipping the heart pops in chocolate and trying to smooth out the surface. Other than that, they're fairly simple to make. And no baking is necessary.

1/2 Cup Butter
1 Package of Mini Marshmallows
8.5 Cups of Rice Krispie Cereal (use Cocoa Rice Krispie Cereal for the chocolate version)
24 White Sticks about 5 inches long
*I made a batch of regular rice krispie treats and a batch of chocolate rice krispie treats

1. Heat up a large pan and melt the butter over medium/low heat. Add the marshmallows and melt completely. Combine the rice krispie cereal to the marshmallow/butter mixture and mix thoroughly.

2. Line a 9x13 pan with parchment or wax paper and place the rice krispie mixture and spread out evenly. Press down firmly and evenly. Allow to sit for about 10-15 minutes at room temperature.

3. Grease a heart cookie cutter and press down evenly on the rice krispie mold and remove the heart shaped rice krispie treat. Take your stick and carefully pierce the bottom of the heart shaped rice krispie and stop when you have about 2.5 inches of stick remaining. Press firmly on a flat surface with your palms on each sides of the heart to secure the stick. Also, press the sides as well.

Make your chocolate ganache...
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Package of Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Chips
*Heat your heavy cream on medium-high and bring to a boil (or microwave for 1 minute). Pour the hot heavy cream on top of the chocolate chips in a medium bowl and mix to combine. Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes.

4. Dip the heart into the chocolate sauce and using a butter knife smooth out the surface also removing access chocolate. Place on a lined baking sheet and allow the hearts to set in the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes.

I also made plain chocolate rice krispie heart pops.

Wrap in plastic bags found at crafts stores and tie with a bow. Simple, pretty and easy to eat. Enjoy and Happy Valentine's Day!

1. Sommer J said... February 13, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Aww how cute! Sure the class will love them.

2. baking.serendipity said... February 13, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Adorable! (Of course...what else would I expect from you? :) I want to be in your son's class and receive one of these!

3. Laurel {Make and Takes} said... February 14, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Yum! And a fun thing you could do for any occasion! I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight: http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

4. whatsfordinneracrossstatelines said... February 14, 2011 at 11:40 AM

You want to hear hilarious! I made the same things a week ago, but I never go to photo them! They just disappeared; have no idea who ate them all! He He
    Happy Valentines Day!

5. Susi said... February 14, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Hi Lisa :o) I love those little rice krispy pops, they look darling! I'm sure they were a hit with all the kids, they certainly would have been with my three!

6. Lin said... February 15, 2011 at 5:26 AM

That is soooooo cute. A pitty we can't taste.

7. Gitte said... February 15, 2011 at 6:49 AM

Love the Heart Pops and they are so much easier than Cake Pops. I'm sure they were a huge hit in your sons class.

8. the actor's diet said... February 18, 2011 at 5:16 PM

adorable! i just discovered your blog - love it!

9. Monet said... February 21, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Lisa! I'm so sorry I've been absent. My google reader hasn't been picking up your feed for the past two weeks. Just today, I was thinking/worrying about you. I'm so glad that I checked in! These are adorable...I hope you are doing well.

10. oliepants said... February 25, 2011 at 5:34 PM

This would be such a great party favor idea! Beautiful pictures.

11. cooperl788 said... February 25, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Awww, this is such a cute idea! Maybe I'll have to modify it slightly for St. Patrick's day with a shamrock cookie cutter and white chocolate dyed green? Thanks for the great idea!

12. Fun and Fearless in Beantown said... February 28, 2011 at 8:15 AM

These are simply adorable!

13. Small Burst said... February 28, 2011 at 10:54 PM

There are too cute!

14. Now Serving said... March 10, 2011 at 3:13 PM

that is such a cute treat! Love it :)

15. Cooking Creation said... March 12, 2011 at 9:59 PM

LOVE these! What a great idea! I might just surprise my daughter one day with these. :)

16. Fresh Local and Best said... March 16, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Oh this is such a fun idea! Your son must have been very popular on Valentine's Day!

17. Small Burst said... June 2, 2011 at 12:16 AM

You had me at rice krispy. Seriously, this look amazing!

18. ilhja said... November 30, 2011 at 2:55 AM

These look amazing.

But I got a question, how much is 1/2 Stick Butter?

19. ~Lisa~ said... November 30, 2011 at 9:33 AM

@ilhja
    A half s stick of butter is one whole stick of butter (=

20. ilhja said... December 1, 2011 at 6:33 AM

@~Lisa~
    It just because I am not from America and we don't have butter in sticks so it would be easiere for me if I had the weight because I can figur out what that would be in grams.

21. ~Lisa~ said... December 1, 2011 at 8:04 AM

@ilhja user sorry for that. It's a 1/2 cup. Hope this helps!

22. ~Lisa~ said... December 1, 2011 at 8:06 AM

@ilhja
    Or 113 grams.

23. ilhja said... December 4, 2011 at 10:41 AM

@~Lisa~
    thanks!

24. Sarah said... January 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Hey, I love this & had to feature it in my "things I like thursday" post!

:) Sarah

25. Anonymous said... January 29, 2012 at 7:27 PM

These are really cool, am going to give them a go.

26. Lindsay @Artsy-Fartsy Mama said... January 29, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Too cute!! Found this on Pinterest and featured you on my blog today :)

Feel free to come check it out!

27. Kathryn said... January 31, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Hi,
    I just wanted to let you know that this post was featured in my 2012 Valentine's Day Guide! Seen here: http://www.singingthroughtherain.net/2012/01/2012-valentines-day-guide.html
    ~Kathryn @ Singing Through the Rain

28. Ally said... February 3, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Love these!! how many does each batch make? just trying to get an idea of how many batches I need to make. Thanks for the great idea!

29. tdreusser said... February 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I would like to try this with scotcheroos. Will I need the heavy cream in order for the chocolate mixture to stick to the rice crispies? Or should it work if I just use chocolate + butterscotch chips?

30. ~Lisa~ said... February 3, 2012 at 6:33 PM

@Ally
    If you're using a 9x13 pan you can make about 24 hearts that are about 2 inches wide. But this would depend in the size of your heart cookie cutter. Hope this helps. Also, once you insert the stick press the rice krispy firmly to secure using your hands and palms.

31. ~Lisa~ said... February 3, 2012 at 6:39 PM

@tdreusser
    Scotcheroos would be delicious. And no you don't have to make a ganache (which is the addition of heavy cream). Chocolate will harden and set well even without the heavy cream. Good luck!

32. ~Lisa~ said... February 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM

@tdreusser
    Although I like the consistency of a ganache better. Its a softer.

33. Kim - Liv Life said... February 3, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I love these!! WE are all about the krispie treat, and I know Liv and her friends would go nuts for this one!!! Nicely done.

34. goodnightstars said... February 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I'm thinking about making these as favors for my friend's bridal shower!

Quick question: Do you think it would ruin them if I put them in the freezer for a couple weeks before the shower?

35. ~Lisa~ said... February 7, 2012 at 9:29 PM

@goodnightstars
    I've never frozen them before but I know plain rice krispies can be frozen by storing them in an airtight container with wax paper in between each one for up to 6 weeks and thawed 15 minutes prior to serving. But I do know that chocolate sometimes bloom with temperature changes. I wouldn't risk it but you could do a test on a pre-made rice krispie treat. Dip one in the chocolate, place in wax paper after the hocate sets, freeze it, thaw it and see how they hold up? Sorry I don't have a definite answer for you.

36. ~Lisa~ said... February 12, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Just realized the recipe calls for 1/2 stick of butter when it should be 1/2 cup of butter. Sorry folks. It's still good with 1/2 stick of butter but not as moist.

37. yungteach951 said... September 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM

You allow the chocolate to cool for 10-15 min.? Is that correct? Please someone let me know if this is right...I've always dipped fruits in choc when it's warm...

38. yungteach951 said... September 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM

A lot harder to make than it looks...or maybe it's just me..lol..The recipe says to let the chocolate cool for 10-15 min. Not sure this is right...because the pop wont "dip" in if its not warm...Also didn't have enough chocolate to dip the whole pop..just did the tips. When I dipped the pop into the bowl of choc. the weight of the choc. would pull the crispy off the pop!! Ugh..I tried to pack the crispy as tight as possible around the stick..I'm thinking my cookie cutter is too large...maybe a smaller cutter works best...

39. rachel moss said... January 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM

is it 1kg marshmallow package, 500gr or 200gr I am from uk and we have here all sizes. it looks awesome thank you Lisa.

40. rachel moss said... January 8, 2013 at 12:45 PM

what size of marshmallow package?

41. rachel moss said... January 8, 2013 at 12:50 PM

@yungteach951
    yes of course it the size of the cutter also you might consider the marshmallow amount. It doesn't indicate what size of marshmallow package 1kg 500g or 200g since this is the glue here I guess it should be in the exect amount.

42. Anonymous said... August 28, 2013 at 11:10 AM

How many hearts did you get out of one pan?
    Also how long would you say these are good to sit out? I will be making these for a party and not wrapping them. How far in andavce can I make them and how shoudl I store them prior to the party?