Monday, January 24, 2011

Korean Steamed Egg Custard (계란찜)

Steamed egg custard. One of my favorite side dishes. Whenever Korean restaurants serve this, I get super excited, and I'm usually the first one to dig in. It's a childhood favorite.

It's simple and quite tasty. You can add whatever you like to this egg custard. Chopped meats, peppers, whatever you think would go nicely. You can also leave it plain or sprinkle a bit of chili pepper powder.

3 Eggs
1/2 Scallion, chopped
2/3 cup Water
Sesame Seeds
Salt

1. Whisk the eggs and add the water & salt and mix well. Pour egg mixture into heat proof bowl and place the bowl in a large pot filled with water. Making sure the water level is no more than 3/4 up the heat proof bowl.

2. Steam the egg custard covered for 15 minutes on medium heat. Add the scallions and sesame seeds and steam for an additional 5-7 minutes.

3. Alternatively, you can microwave this egg custard. It doesn't turn out as pretty but tastes just as good. Pour the egg mixture in a heat proof dish and place the dish in a larger bowl. This is so that your microwave remains clean as the water and egg will overflow. Microwave for about 1 minute 35 seconds on high heat. Check to see that the egg has solidified.

Serve hot. Enjoy!

1. I'm a full-time mummy said... January 24, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Steamed egg custard is one of my fave too! Just love love love eating it! And yes, it's one of my childhood fave dish as well! :)

Normally what I did with mine is after whisking the egg, water and salt, I'll use the a sieve/strainer and sieve through the mixture one time before steaming it. Somehow the texture is smoother :)

2. whatsfordinneracrossstatelines said... January 24, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Oh wow, it's easy too, love that! Can't wait to try this.

3. Hyosun Ro said... January 24, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Beautifully done!!

4. Anonymous said... January 25, 2011 at 4:50 AM

I absolutely love this dish! Yours look so nicely done!

5. Cindy said... January 27, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Steamed egg custard is a must-have side dish, I mean I love it that much :) simple and easy to make, right? Anyway, I like your blog in harmony with delish recipes, artistic photos and your sweetness!

6. sansangirl said... February 6, 2011 at 5:44 AM

Thanks for the recipe!! I am looking forward to trying this!!=)

7. Chung-Ah @ Damn Delicious said... December 4, 2011 at 2:19 PM

When my mom would make this, it would turn out perfect. When I made it, it came out like absolute crap. I eyeballed all the measurements like she did, which was probably mistake #1. But thanks to your recipe, I'm sure I'll make it just like mom did! Maybe even better :)

8. Anonymous said... January 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I just made this; really yummy! Thanks~

But don't be stupid like me and let the water boil too vigorously otherwise there will be bubbles at the bottom of the custard. Start it at a boil for ~5 min then reduce to a gentle simmer for the remaining time.

9. Anonymous said... October 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I pinned this recipe sounded gr8 tasted even better! I'd never eaten steamed eggs.. They were divine! I added bacon bits, a bit of chili paste, used hot sesame oil so it didn't stick to the ramekin since I didn't have sesame seeds. Cooked it on low so it wouldn't boil & then covered it.. Came back 10 mins later & it was perfect! I've searched for many ways to cook eggs this is my absolute favorite! I'll try some diff seasonings fish sauce is next! Thanx so much!