Thursday, December 16, 2010

White Chocolate Peppermint Mini Cheesecakes

Silky and smooth with a touch of peppermint, these mini cheesecakes are dainty yet flavorful. Each bite is heaven. The peppermint oil gives off a refreshing minty flavor and the crunch of the candy canes adds a wonderful texture and aroma. It's like an explosion of minty, white chocolaty goodness in every bite. And the pretzel crust, there really isn't a better crust in my opinion. It brings everything together with a lovely hint of saltiness.

I'm planning on taking these delectable treats to a Holiday party this Saturday. I think they'll win the hearts of all the guests, young or old. Simple to make and portable. And just because they're mini cheesecakes doesn't stop you from eating just one. In fact, one doesn't cut it. If you're like me, anything mini calls for easy access eating. No mess, no slicing or plates to clean, just two bites is all it takes. Okay maybe three. Four?

White Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake Batter
Mini Peppermint Candy Canes

Pretzel Crust
1-1/2 Cup Pretzel Crumbs
6 tbsp Unsalted Butter, melted & cooled
4 tbsp Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt

1. In a double boiler on medium heat add the Ghriradelli white chocolate with 2 tbsp of the heavy cream. Allow to melt mixing frequently. Allow to cool a bit.

2. In the bowl of your stand alone mixer or by hand using a whisk or a handheld mixer, combine the cream cheese, créme fraîche and sugar and beat on medium speed until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, vanilla extract, the peppermint oil, heavy cream and the white chocolate and blend well until smooth. Set aside.

Preheat your oven to 325º at this time.

3. Prepare the pretzel crust. In your food processor chop about 1-1/2 cups of pretzels. Pour into a medium bowl, add the melted butter, sugar and salt. Mix well.

4. Place the removable disks into the bottoms of each slot of the mini cheesecake pan and grease the sides or muffin pan with liners. Place about 1 tbsp of the pretzel crumb in each slot and evenly press down firmly with a spoon.

Place a spoonful (almost to the top but not quite) of the cheesecake batter on top of the pretzel crust. Bake for about 15-20 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack and cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least an hour (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT) otherwise your cheesecake will not form completely.

And while I was making the cheesecakes my love was busy in his kitchen making me some cookies! He even put his oven mitt's on and said,"be careful, it's hot."

Remove the cheesecakes by gently pushing up each disk from the bottoms of each slot. I crushed some peppermint candy canes to top the cheesecakes and added a mini candy cane for a festive look (keep the cheesecakes refrigerated and add the candy canes right before you serve). If you're not a fan of white chocolate you can make the mini peanut butter or dark chocolate cheesecakes. Serve and devour. They won't last long so get 'em while you can. Enjoy!

1. Jolita said... December 16, 2010 at 8:26 AM

They are just lovely!!!

2. I'm a full-time mummy said... December 16, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Awfully cute! I love cheesecakes and miniature goodies are my fave too!!!

3. January said... December 16, 2010 at 8:38 AM

the cheesecakes look so delicate. i'm sure they came out smooth and perfect. that's a great recipe. and may i say, your little boy is so cute :)

4. alison said... December 16, 2010 at 9:31 AM

so cute cookies ,but the cutiest in the world is your little one!

5. allyn said... December 16, 2010 at 9:35 AM

these are adorable. thanks for the detailed instructions! glad i stumbled upon your blog via smallburst.

6. Fun and Fearless in Beantown said... December 16, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I think the pretzel crust makes this so unique!

7. Sofia's Ideas said... December 16, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Those look way too pretty to eat! :)

BTW, I didnt hear back from you about sending you the calendar. Please email me where to send it, or let me know if you don't want it so I can send it to the next person. I promise, my feelings won't be hurt! :) Thanks!

8. Roxan said... December 16, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Lisa these look amazing! Can I come to the party this weekend? I promise I will contribute something as well ;] but what I really want is to eat some of those mini cheesecakes. I've never had mint cheesecake before but I love anything mint flavored.

9. Sommer J said... December 16, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Wow, Lisa! These look soooo good! Perfect for the holidays and so cute!!

Of course the little man is absolutely adorable!! Those cookies look fab, little man!

10. Swathi said... December 16, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Cute cheesecake, you are going to be winner in holiday party. Look like your prince is very busy in his kitchen, he is having fun.

11. cooperl788 said... December 16, 2010 at 12:29 PM

They look scrumptious.. and so do your cheesecakes! Really though, those cheesecakes look like the perfect dessert for a dinner party we're attending next week. And on another note, I'm making your dark chocolate, cranberry and oatmeal cookies right now - they smell heavenly!

12. jose manuel said... December 16, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Que interesante y rica receta. Fantastica.

13. Lawyer Loves Lunch said... December 16, 2010 at 1:03 PM

I love the mini cheesecake pan. I've tried 'em with a muffin pan and they get progressively wider and that bugs me. Clearly, a mini cheesecake pan (and mint cheesecake) is the way to go!

14. Heather@Gourmet Meals for Less said... December 16, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Beautiful!! I am going to be making these this holiday for sure!

15. Debbie said... December 16, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Oh i love those mini cheesecakes...I bought an insane amount of cream cheese a while back because I was craving cheesecake a while back and still haven't made any. Can't wait to try these, thanks!

16. Tiffany @ Conor & Bella said... December 16, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Adorable! Mini cheesecakes are the cutest.

17. Jennifurla said... December 16, 2010 at 5:44 PM

These are great, you did a great job decorating. Indigo has that same cookie sheet from Melissa & Doug.

18. Adrienne said... December 16, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Those are so cute, and look super yummy!

19. Pacheco Patty said... December 16, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Lisa, these are beautiful. I love the idea of the minis and the candy canes on top are perfect;-)

20. Hyosun Ro said... December 16, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Lovely!! May I come to your party too?

21. aipi said... December 16, 2010 at 10:43 PM

That definitely will light up the faces in any party or family get together..your desserts are always fabulous, nice addition to your collection!

22. naomi said... December 16, 2010 at 10:57 PM

OMG! I love these. Great great job. So festive!

23. Zoe said... December 16, 2010 at 11:13 PM

The cheesecakes look very pretty with the candy canes. I bet the kids will love these :D

24. New York City Girl Expat Abroad said... December 17, 2010 at 3:15 AM

These are tres cool... and look so delish, the photo looks fantastic.. fab fab fab...

Hey.. do you have a thing for pretzels... kinda seeing a trend here.. hehe = )

Where do you get your organic essence? I pay such a huge bundle here in Japan for those sorts...

25. Dimah said... December 17, 2010 at 11:19 AM

looks so pretty and delicious! great job!

26. Monet said... December 17, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Two bite treats are EXACTLY what I love about making things petite. These cheesecakes look stunning, and I'm sure they will win everyone's heart (they've certainly won mine!) Thank you for sharing this recipe with me. I hope you have a weekend full of relaxation and fun!

27. baking.serendipity said... December 17, 2010 at 8:34 PM

I love mini cheesecakes :) These look fantastic and are garnished beautifully. Yum! Hope you have a great weekend!

28. NOORISH said... December 17, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Pretzel crust?!?! That's so creative. I love this recipe.

29. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said... December 18, 2010 at 5:47 AM

These are sooo cute. And I can just imagine the refreshing mint flavor to help balance out the sweet creamy cheesecake. Don't really enjoy eating candy canes straight but I would gladly gobble down 2 of these ;).

30. Small Burst said... December 18, 2010 at 10:10 AM

this is really cute and so festive. I'll be making this for our office party on Tuesday. Thanks!!

31. Fresh Local and Best said... December 18, 2010 at 1:59 PM

These are certainly cute and festive for holiday parties> I predict that they will be a hit! The pretzel crust must add a nice contrast to the tangy sweetness of the cheesecake filling. I like the addition of creme fraiche.

32. Chef Dennis said... December 19, 2010 at 4:53 PM

what perfect little cheesecakes!! I love them! I have to try making some for my girls!
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Dennis

33. ~Lisa~ said... December 20, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Thank you guys! These lil cheesecakes are really tasty. I hope you try them.

@NYCGExpat, I purchased my peppermint oil from Wholefoods. And yes, they can be $$

34. Jackie said... December 20, 2010 at 5:21 PM

These are gorgeous! I love them. I really want to make some now, but I think I'm going to have to wait a while. Soon, though! They're too beautiful not to make!

Also that photo of your little one with his tray of cookies? Too cute!

Jax x

35. Lisa said... January 10, 2011 at 9:42 PM

That pic of your son is the cutest thing ever. Of course, these cheesecakes look very pretty too and the idea of flavoring them with white chocolate and peppermint is something I'd like to try.

36. Shauna said... December 21, 2011 at 1:10 PM

I'm planning on making these tonight! However, I was wondering what kind of peppermint oil you use? Thanks!

37. ~Lisa~ said... December 21, 2011 at 3:19 PM

@Shauna HI SHauna, I used Simply Organic Peppermint oil as pictured above. You can use any peppermint oil found at your grocers. Good luck!

38. Catherine Holt said... December 12, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Oh wow, these would definitely not last long in my house. The fact that these cheesecakes are bite sized makes them even more adorable!!