Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Mini Chocolate Rudolph the Reindeer Cupcakes

Rudolph the red nose reindeer, reindeer. Had a very shiny nose...

Tis the season for beautiful Christmas decorations, over spending the birth of Christ, un-neccessary weight gain and joyful family time surrounded by food of course.

Can you believe Christmas is almost here? It amazes me how quickly time flies by. When I was younger, a week felt like an eternity. And here we are now ending 2010. Another year older and hopefully another year wiser.

In honor of the upcoming Christmas festivities, I had to make these super cute mini reindeer cupcakes for my loves pre-school class. Aren't they adorable! I can't recall where I saw this idea but I had to recreate it.

The chocolate cupcakes are light and airy and not too sweet. And not a lick of butter was used in this cupcake recipe. Seriously. Instead, I used 0% Fage Greek Yogurt mixed in with a bit of 2% milk. The results were outstanding. However, my friend Mr. Butter made an appearance in the cream cheese and butter frosting which was the perfect balance of flavors.

Chocolate Cupcakes
Adapted from Martha Stewart
3/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder not dutch processed
1-1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1-1/2 Cups Sugar
1-1/2 tsp Baking Soda
3/4 tsp Baking Powder
3/4 tsp Salt
2 Large Eggs
3/4 Cup Warm Water
3/4 Cup Buttermilk (I used 1/2 cup 0% Fage Greek Yogurt mixed with 1/4 cup 2% milk)
3 tbsp Safflower Oil (I used Grape seed Oil)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Yields 24 Mini Cupcakes & 7 Regular Cupcakes

1. Preheat oven to 350º. Sift together the cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda & powder, and salt in the bowl of our stand alone mixer (or a large bowl to work by hand). Add the eggs, water, yogurt, oil and vanilla and mix well for about 3 minutes.

Pour into your desired cupcake pan with liners about 2/3 full (I used my mini cupcake pan). Bake for 18 minutes. I also used a regular muffin pan and baked seven regular cupcakes with the leftover batter. I baked these an additional couple of minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool completely.

As usual. "Ma, I want to help you."
Cream Cheese & Butter Frosting
1 Eight oz Cream Cheese
6 tbsp of Butter, sliced at room temperature
1 Cup Confectioners Sugar, sifted
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Red Regular M&M's (for the nose)
Dark Chocolate Mini Chips (for the eyes) or Mini Brown M&M's
Mini Pretzels, cut to look like reindeer antlers

1. Place the cream cheese in your stand alone mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or by hand using a spatula or hand held mixer) and on medium speed, mix until creamy. Add the butter pieces one at a time until fully incorporated. Add the confectioner sugar and vanilla and blend well.

2. Then add the red M&M nose, mini dark chocolate chips for eyes and mini pretzels for antlers. And tada, you have Rudolph cupcakes!

These little treats are sure to be a hit with the kiddies. Enjoy!

1. Swathi said... December 21, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Cute cupcake Lisa. I like your little helper arranging the muffin cups cute.

2. New York City Girl Expat Abroad said... December 21, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Hi Lisa.. I really like the bokeh in your photo = ) I bet the little one's loved to nibble at this?

3. Zoe said... December 21, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Very cute cupcake. Your little man must be happy helping and eating these cute little treats.

4. I'm a full-time mummy said... December 21, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Super cute!!!

5. Kim - Liv Life said... December 21, 2010 at 11:29 PM

So adorable!!! Liv will love these!! I'll bet your little guy had fun putting them together.

6. Jean said... December 21, 2010 at 11:50 PM

These are adorable, Lisa. I bet your more adorable sous chef loved them.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

7. Roxan said... December 21, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Lisa, these are so so so cute! I really want to make these. I have a potluck on sunday... but am going straight there from my in laws' place. I wonder if I can make it there? My friends would get a kick out of this.

8. Chow and Chatter said... December 22, 2010 at 12:45 AM

oh wow love these

Merry Christmas

Rebecca

9. alison said... December 22, 2010 at 1:09 AM

so cute!you are a great help in your lille!:)
    merry christmas to you and yours!

10. jose manuel said... December 22, 2010 at 3:04 AM

Te han quedad lindisimos.

Felices fiestas.

11. Dr.Sameena Prathap
    said... December 22, 2010 at 4:00 AM

Hey Lisa,

Beautiful cup cakes...:)

Dr.Sameena@

12. cooperl788 said... December 22, 2010 at 7:45 AM

So cute! Georgia would love to make something like that, not to mention how pretty they would look on a Christmas plate. Merry Christmas my friend!

13. Federica said... December 22, 2010 at 8:54 AM

meravigliosiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!

Tantissimi auguri di buone feste a te e a tutta la tua famiglia!un abbraccio!

14. Chef Dennis said... December 22, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Hi Lisa

those cupcakes are just too cute!! and your helper looks like he is having a great time!
    Wishing you and your family and happy, healthy Christmas!
    Dennis

15. Fun and Fearless in Beantown said... December 22, 2010 at 9:28 AM

These are SO adorable!

16. A Thought For Food said... December 22, 2010 at 9:45 AM

These are so cute!!! Your little boy helps, of course... but the reindeer cupcakes alone are absolutely adorable!

17. Cook With Susan said... December 22, 2010 at 10:49 AM

These are the cutest cup cakes I have ever seen. You are so creative.

18. ajcabuang04 said... December 22, 2010 at 11:17 AM

These are cute! Lovin' this!

19. Karen from Globetrotter Diaries said... December 22, 2010 at 1:00 PM

toooooo cuuuuute!

20. Brindusa said... December 22, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Lisa, I love your cupcakes! They look exactly like reindeers.
    I wish you a very Merry Christmas!

21. Hannah said... December 22, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Those are just the cutest cupcakes ever, and the cutest helper too :)

22. Debbie said... December 22, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Lisa these are the most adorable cupcakes ever, but darn you because I have that song stuck in my head now! Happy Holidays!

23. Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron said... December 22, 2010 at 2:50 PM

These are super adorable Lisa! I'm not surprised if the kids loved them so much. That's such a good idea to mix yogurt and milk for buttermilk!

I'm going to make these for my new year party! My guests will love it! Thanks for the inspiration Lisa!!

24. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said... December 22, 2010 at 8:23 PM

These are just too cute! Love the crossed out text ;p. So true.

25. Hyosun Ro said... December 22, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Lisa - These cup cakes are so cute. I wish I can grab one to eat. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

26. Fresh Local and Best said... December 22, 2010 at 11:31 PM

These are such cute cupcakes! As is your little helper! I know what you mean about Christmas being around the corner. It seems like December just flew by! I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

27. Pacheco Patty said... December 23, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Very sweet Lisa! I love the curly pretzel antlers and the faces on the reindeers! Ha Ha weight gain may just be necessary to enjoy all the goodies at Christmas time;-)

28. SUNFLOWERS8 said... December 23, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Hi Lisa, adorable Rudolph ;)
    Merry Christmas!
    Sonia

29. Sommer J said... December 23, 2010 at 6:10 PM

These are so cute!!!! Your love's classmates are certainly lucky to have him in his class for many reasons!

And of course he's so sweet helping mama out. You've inspired me to be more creative. I hope you have a great holiday!!!

30. Monet said... December 23, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Adorable! I'm sure that children and adults alike would be thrilled with these precious little gems. I know I sure would! Thank you for sharing such sweetness. I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend!

31. Justin said... December 24, 2010 at 10:54 AM

wow, those are the cutest

32. sara @ CaffeIna said... December 25, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Love these cupcakes! I need to keep them in mind for next Xmas to bake with the kids.

Happy holidays to you and your family!

33. Lisa said... January 10, 2011 at 9:41 PM

What cute cupcakes for the holidays. You must be well liked by your son's preschool class. How wonderful that your son is always by your side to help with the goodies.