Monday, December 13, 2010

Korean Hamburger Steak with White Sweet Potato Hasselback Style

Korean Hamburger Steak. Simple. Delicious. No fuss cooking. Ready in less than 30 minutes. Have you ever tasted a Korean Hamburger Steak topped with an egg? Well today is your lucky day.

This meal is economical, easy to make and most of all lip smacking good. The hardest part is frying the egg, seriously. And maybe slicing the sweet potato. Other than that, I think anyone can make this dish.

I bumped into some New Jersey white sweet potatoes at Wholefoods today. It was reminiscent of a Korean sweet potato and looked just like a potato. I've seen potatoes served hasselback style all over the place and had to give it a try with these.

A hasselback sweet potato is basically a technique where you slice the potato as thin as possible without cutting through.

The best way is to cut a sliver off the bottom of your sweet potato so that it remains stable while you cut thin slices using a very sharp paring knife. The results are perfectly baked sweet potatoes.

Remember to clean your sweet potatoes or potatoes thoroughly. Coat with a bit of butter or olive oil before baking in a preheated oven at 450º for about 30-45 minutes depending on the size of your sweet potato. It really is a nice way to present baked sweet potatoes.

Korean Hamburger Steak
1.4 lbs Ground Beef Sirloin 90/10
1 Medium Onion, Chopped
6 Garlic Cloves Minced
1/4 Cup Bread Crumbs or Ground Oatmeal
4 tbsp Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 Chopped Kimchi Lightly Sautéed, Optional
Eggs
Olive Oil
Sesame Seeds
Yields about 5 Hamburger Steaks

*As past of my sponsor Foodbuzz's Tastemaker Program, I elected to receive a coupon for a free bottle of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce to use in this recipe.

Would you like a coupon? Let me know, I have three to giveaway.

1. A) Sauté the chopped onions in about 2 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat for about minute or so then add the minced garlic and sauté until the onions are transparent. Allow to cool. B) Place the ground sirloin in a large bowl along with the sautéed onions & garlic, bread crumbs, kimchi, salt & pepper and the Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce. C) Using your hands combine all the ingredients well and form into patties.

In your cast iron skillet, lightly coated with olive oil, place a couple of hamburger steaks and allow to cook for a couple of minutes or until it browns a bit, flip, place a lid on the skillet and allow to cook. Checking to see that it does not burn. If you wish you can turn the heat up a bit, perhaps to medium/high and allow to brown a bit.

Meanwhile, heat up a frying pan on low heat with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and fry your egg. I actually placed a greased stainless steel biscuit cutter in the center of the frying pan and poured the egg inside the biscuit cutter which was used as a mold to create a round egg that fits on top of the hamburger steak.

Place the egg on top of the hamburger steak plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with brown rice, noodles or whatever you like. Oh and don't forget the kimchi. Enjoy!

1. Kim - Liv Life said... December 13, 2010 at 10:05 PM

I'm sitting here 1/2 hour past dinner time waiting for my chicken to finally defrost (my fault!) and you absolutely have my mouth watering! Mmmm!!!

2. whatsfordinneracrossstatelines said... December 13, 2010 at 10:24 PM

i've never had a hamburger with a fried egg on top, I don't know why! I do like that style of potato I've been seeing everywhere. I could always use some Lea & Perrins! Hope you have a great week!

3. Swathi said... December 13, 2010 at 11:04 PM

I like the way you presented the sweet potato. hamburger and fried egg on the top looks delicious.

4. Jean said... December 13, 2010 at 11:19 PM

I've seen hasselback-style potatoes all over web, too, and have been curious about trying them. Love this take on steak and potatoes. How can you go wrong adding a fried egg? Love!

5. Zoe said... December 13, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Kimchi hamburger steak sounds really yummy. Love your hasselback sweet potato...very impressive :D

6. doreese said... December 14, 2010 at 12:45 AM

This loos flippin amazing. I think I want to try this after I'm done with finals. Looks pretty easy!! and I have been wanting to try the hasselback style potatoes forever!!

7. Lawyer Loves Lunch said... December 14, 2010 at 1:05 AM

Yum. That is all. No wait. Double yum. THAT is all :)

8. Roxan said... December 14, 2010 at 1:30 AM

I've been hearing about hassleback potatoes but I've never had one before. I imagine it to be the best of two worlds - potato / potato chip. Delicious!

How are you doing Lisa? Are you having a white Christmas back east?

9. Luciana said... December 14, 2010 at 1:53 AM

Sembra tutto delizioso cara, le patate sono fantastiche e la spolverata finale di sesamo è ottima!!! bacioni

10. Yen said... December 14, 2010 at 2:49 AM

I am interested on one of your coupon. Your meal reminds me of the hong kong style cafe food cause there is always an egg on top of their dish.

Yentuyen@hotmail.com

11. 선미 (Sunmi) said... December 14, 2010 at 3:03 AM

Ooh, I wonder if this would work with ground turkey? My mom brought me a (very small) jar of kimchi when she came for Thanksgiving, and I'd been on the verge of just eating it by itself, but this might be the solution I was looking for! :)

Also, if you have any coupons left, my student budget and I would love one! ;)

12. Sommer J said... December 14, 2010 at 3:54 AM

My son has a new found love for burgers, but you madeit even better by topping it with an egg. My son absolutely loooooves eggs. He'll be rallying to for you to be is Mommy if you keep this up ;)

Love the sweet potatoes. Will have to try that technique.

13. Dimah said... December 14, 2010 at 5:13 AM

That looks delicious! Great directions and photos.

14. cooperl788 said... December 14, 2010 at 6:47 AM

I love that I can eat with my eyes on your blog! The photos of your burger is just amazing. I love the idea of a fried egg on my burger - I do it all the time. It really takes a burger to a whole new level!

15. jose manuel said... December 14, 2010 at 6:53 AM

Que pintaza tienen estas hamburguesas, madre mía, me llevaba un trocito.

16. I'm a full-time mummy said... December 14, 2010 at 7:53 AM

Mmm looks delicious! I like potatoes and love eggs!

17. Jackie said... December 14, 2010 at 8:17 AM

This looks like EXACTLY what I need right now! I won't get it, though, as I've got a busy couple of days ahead of me, but it's definitely going on my list for must-makes soon!

Jax x

18. Fun and Fearless in Beantown said... December 14, 2010 at 9:02 AM

I love Korean burgers but the fried egg on top probably brought it to another level!

19. blackbookkitchendiaries said... December 14, 2010 at 12:25 PM

i really love how unique your creations are..and they always look so stunning:) thanks for sharing this.

20. Sprinkles of Parsley said... December 14, 2010 at 2:59 PM

I love anything with a delicious runny egg! This looks scrumptious!!

21. Lisa said... December 14, 2010 at 3:45 PM

I've definitely got to start putting kimchi into my hamburger patties from now on. I know I'd enjoy that spicy kick.

22. Torviewtoronto said... December 14, 2010 at 6:41 PM

healthy filling burger

23. Monet said... December 15, 2010 at 1:46 AM

I want to make this meal right now! I've never heard of a hasselback potato before, and I love those thin layers! And of course, I'm always a fan of fried eggs on top of burgers/sandwiches. This looks just delicious (and sophisticated too!) Thank you for sharing with me. I hope you have a Wednesday full of wonder and joy!

24. meltingbutter.com said... December 15, 2010 at 3:52 AM

Looks delicious! Never had Korean burgers before, but they look tasty! I am gonna make some hasselback potatoes tonight for something different... thanks for the post! :)

25. Janis said... December 15, 2010 at 7:17 AM

Oh Mommy, that looks amazing. You know how *I* feel about eggs and that one is beautiful.

26. Hannah said... December 15, 2010 at 12:05 PM

This looks so incredibly good! I want to reach into the computer and eat it! Your food photography always blows me away too! How do you always have the perfect lighting?

27. Dionne Baldwin said... December 15, 2010 at 1:29 PM

This is gorgeous. A patty and an egg? It's never looked so beautiful. You have such a beautiful way of presenting food. I LOOOOOVE eggs they make everything better. I'll out some rice aside this and call it my dinner!

28. Mariko said... December 15, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I'm already obsessed with Korean food. Looks awesome. Especially with kimchee. And sweet potato Hasselback? That is so smart. Can't imagine a better combo.

29. NOORISH said... December 15, 2010 at 6:12 PM

I make my hamburgers almost the exact same way, fried egg and all! The only thing I don't add is the kimchi. Sounds delicious though, and I will definitely try this recipe on my next burger night.

30. ~Lisa~ said... December 15, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Thanks. My son liked it too which is a surprise since he usually rejects beef. I think i've slowly turned him (=

31. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said... December 15, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Your eggs and potatoes are so pretty! I only eat seafood but my boyfriend would love this :).

32. ajcabuang04 said... December 15, 2010 at 10:19 PM

This looks soo good! Kind of reminds me of a Salisbury steak! I'm lovin' the sweet potato too! It looks so cool. BTW, I just gave you an award on my blog! :) I hope you'll accept it. :D

33. January said... December 15, 2010 at 11:54 PM

I just had Japanese burger last week and have wondered what a Korean burger would be like. voila! i'm in for a treat coz you posted about it. thank you for posting, i love the egg on top! :)

34. shannon said... December 17, 2010 at 4:50 PM

A Korean hamburger is very interesting. Great Post and congrats on being named Foodbuzz's Top 9!!! That is a pretty cool honor!!!