Friday, December 24, 2010

Homemade Energy Bars

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night...

I hope all of you are enjoying your Christmas weekend. I've been busy buying and wrapping gifts, planning our dinner menu and also making homemade gift's for the parents.

Not too long ago, my mom was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. And I wanted to make something that she could enjoy without worrying too much about her insulin levels and of course enjoyed in moderation. I also wanted to make something that is both nutritious and filling. And since my mom works a lot, I wanted it to be a healthy on the go meal for those days when she can't eat breakfast or simply needs a energy boost.

Super tasty and guilt free. Trust me. I had a slice and it was totally filling. My love had some too and he loved them. If my boy gives me the thumbs up, then its a sure winner. These energy bars will be a regular in our house. And I have a feeling my mom will be requesting these quite often.

Energy Bars Courtesy of Suite 101 with my modifications
1 Cup Rolled Oats
1 Cup Puffed Soy or dried TVP (textured vegetable protein) I used TVP
1/2 Cup Raw Sunflower Seeds (I used roasted, unsalted)
1 Cup Sliced Almonds
1 Cup Roasted, Unsalted Peanuts (I added this)
1/2 Cup Wheat Germ
1/2 Cup Wheat Bran (I added this)
2 Tbsp Flax Seeds
1/4 Cup Honey (add a couple of tbsp)
1/4 Cup Fruit Sugar (I used truvia)
1 oz Canola Margarine
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 Cup Dried Raisins
1/4 Cup Dried Apricots (I used Turkish Apricots), chopped
1/4 Cup Dried Cranberries, chopped
1/4 Cup Goji Berries (I added this)

*You can find most of the ingredients at your local health store or your local grocers.

1. Preheat oven to 350º. Place the oats, textured vegetable protein, sunflower seeds, sliced almonds, wheat germ & bran & flax seeds evenly on a aluminum lined and lightly greased baking pan. Toast in oven for 10 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes.

2. While the ingredients are toasting in the oven, place the honey, truvia, margarine, vanilla extract and salt in a large pan enough to hold all the ingredients including the pan of toasting goodness. Stir until all the ingredients are mixed well and sugar has dissolved. Add the dried fruits and pour in the toasted pan full of goodness and mix well. Reduce the oven temperature to 300º at this time.

3. Pour mixture into a 9x13 lightly greased baking dish and spread out evenly. Take a flat surfaced measuring cup or other tool to press down firmly with all your weight so that the mixture binds together. Place in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove and cool completely before cutting.

You could also add a 1/2 cup of peanut butter or almond butter as well, or whatever you prefer. The addition of different types of dried fruit, coconut or other suitable ingredients would work nicely. Your options are endless. They're great as gift idea's and of course the perfect snack for your family.

Merry Christmas!

1. jose manuel said... December 25, 2010 at 5:37 AM

Unas barritas estupendas, se ven deliciosas.

saludos

2. Priya said... December 25, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Fantastic and beautiful energy bars..

3. Swathi said... December 25, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Delicious energy bars.

4. jen cheung said... December 25, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Passion4Food here to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year. May 2011 bring you lots of happiness and friendship. Have an awesome day with your love ones!!

jen @ www.passion4food.ca

5. cooperl788 said... December 25, 2010 at 7:33 PM

It's so funny, I was about to go to Foodnetwork to look for a recipe on granola bars because I need something to eat on my way to the gym in the morning. This is the perfect fix for my dilemma! I can't wait to try them!

6. Fun and Fearless in Beantown said... December 26, 2010 at 11:41 AM

These energy bars look great! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

7. New York City Girl Expat Abroad said... December 26, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I really appreciate this post, I workout everyday, I'm trying to lose a few more pounds (well maybe more than a few) so I can wear my skinny jeans.. (I'm 11) and want to get back to a 6 or 8. I work out everyday, having a change up from my usual meal bars and Soy Joy, I'd love to have some homemade...

I need to go to the organic shop and pick up some dried fruit... but tis will have to wait, I'm off the wagon for a few days.. hehe

8. aipi said... December 26, 2010 at 11:20 PM

This looks great, delicious and healthy, just the way I like it:)

9. Pacheco Patty said... December 27, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Thanks for sharing this recipe Lisa, I've been thinking about making energy bars as well. The recipe looks delicious and I like your suggestions for variations, especially peanut or almond butter. Take care and happy holidays!

10. alison said... December 27, 2010 at 3:42 PM

hi,lisa,happy holidays !a happy new year full of happiness,healthy for you and yours!
    great recipe for a energy bar!

11. Chef Dennis said... December 27, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Wow, Lisa!
    I can see why those didn't last long, you have them loaded with so many tasty ingredients!! I would be prepared to make those on a weekly basis!
    Dennis

12. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said... December 30, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Sorry to hear about your mom! I'm sad to say that my mom was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, too. In fact I was just wondering what treat I could make for her yesterday. Can't wait to try this out. Happy New Year, Lisa!