Thursday, November 11, 2010

Project Food Blogs Challenge #7: Video 411, Me & My Sous Chef

I can't believe I've made it this far. It's been such an amazing experience. Thank you so much for your support and encouragement. Project Food Blog's Challenge #7, Video 411 and what a challenge it was.

I wanted to give up on this challenge. I had such a learning curve on the technical aspect of uploading and exporting a HD (high definition) video. I've never made a video before so everything was new to me.

IMovie, the editing software I used was actually very user friendly. The difficult part was exporting a HD video onto Youtube. Finally, the hubs came across a super informative Youtube tutorial which was a godsend. You can search any "how to" video on Youtube and you'll find it.  Even a "how to" on how to pick your nose, seriously.

I chose an archived recipe for this challenge. It was Halloween day and we invited a few guests for some pre-Halloween snacking before we took the kids trick or treating. So I took advantage of the opportunity to create a recipe video for our little get together.

The menu consisted of butternut squash soup, mussels with french bread, veggies and dip, fresh fruit and cupcakes my friends brought. I also made the Asian Baked Crispy Chicken Wings which is the recipe you'll find in this video.

I went from telling the hubs I wanted to give up to finally deciding that I needed to move forward. Especially after attending the Foodbuzz Festival. I had invested too much time and energy to just throw in the towel.

Anywho, I hope you'll enjoy the video. Because it took serious contemplating on whether I wanted to have a video out on the web for everyone to see. And not to mention some technical difficulties I ran into.

~cringe~

Voting opens November 15 at 9AM EST. I will post a reminder for your convenience. In the meantime, when my contestant widget below states "VOTE FOR ME" please take the time and send a vote my way. Smooches.

By the way. I have to clear this up. In the video, I ask my son who is girlfriend is? Upon watching the video again, I realized he said, "girlfriend name is Cara." (one of his classmates in pre-school) Not Joanna as I stated. I had to clear that up. Sorry love.

1. Lisa said... November 11, 2010 at 9:24 PM

First of all, that recipe sounds amazing. My family has made Korean chicken before, but this sounds even better and I like that it's baked instead of fried. Second, how cute is your love. He's the perfect touch to your video as he keeps things real and interesting. Your video will definitely bring a smile to the faces of all who watch it. Excellent job (your technical skills are way better than mine). I'll be voting for you. Good luck.

2. kz ellis said... November 11, 2010 at 9:49 PM

How adorable are you two! I am so glad you didn't throw in the towel and posted this. The upcoming birthday dance was priceless :)
    I'll be voting for sure.

3. Kim - Liv Life said... November 11, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Ahhh... you pulled out the secret weapon!!! Nicely done. Oh how I remember how my "little" man would cook with me. (He's now 5 foot 9 and only eats burritos!)
    Excellent recipe and video, and Liv says that she would like your son to know that SHE was Buzz Lightyear too when she was his age! Thumbs up on the Halloween costume!
    I love iMovie!! Once you get the basics you can get a bit addicted... I made movies for Liv's classes all through elementary school. Melted my heart the other day when one of the kids from 1st grade sais "Hey Mrs. Kelly... I watched that 1st grade movie the other day, thanks!"

4. Janis said... November 11, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Oh. My. God. The two of you are adorable. Your sous chef has stolen my heart. Your chicken wings look incredible and hey.... where did you get those throw away gloves in the neat package?

You have to go on to the next round. I am a big fan!

5. Fresh Local and Best said... November 11, 2010 at 11:01 PM

I think you did an amazing job on this video! I actually wish you could post the recipe on the blog also, because it appears so quickly on the video, and I'd love to try. It looks yummy!

6. Marisa said... November 11, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Lisa, I love your little sous chef! He is the cutest. For this being your first time putting a video together, I think it came out great! It is so true what you say about Youtube--it always comes through in times of need! Again, really excellent work. Good luck!

7. ~Lisa~ said... November 11, 2010 at 11:41 PM

Oh gosh. Thank you all! I'm still really nervous about this and was really contemplating not posting a video. I feel a bit self conscious. My son really is the star (=

@ Christine (fresh Local & Best), actually there is a link to that recipe within this post. Glad you liked the video though!

8. ~Lisa~ said... November 11, 2010 at 11:55 PM

@ Janis you're sweet. I got the gloves at a Asian/Korean grocery store.

9. 선미 (Sunmi) said... November 12, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Okay, so, you two are naturals on camera. Seriously, so cute. :) And those chicken wings sure bring back memories! Great job!

10. sara @ CaffeIna said... November 12, 2010 at 12:16 AM

I think I've already told you 100s times at the festival how pro you look when you cook. But in this video you totally rock! You are so natural and relaxed! And now that I met you I know you really are like that in real life and not just because you are in front of a camera. And your little dude...omg the best assistant ever. Can I borrow him sometimes :)

11. Karen from Globetrotter Diaries said... November 12, 2010 at 1:06 AM

I LOVED your video. You are such a natural and I love watching people who look comfortable and have things unrehearsed. And second, u have the cutest sous chef I've ever seen!! Voting now! (U need a cooking show on TV, woman!!!!)

12. Trish said... November 12, 2010 at 1:25 AM

The wings look so delicious. Great job with the video. Your sous chef was fabulous - I especially loved the interruption where he cooked in his own kitchen. So adorable. Good luck!

13. Dimah said... November 12, 2010 at 2:07 AM

That recipe sounds absolutely delicious! love it!
    I'll be voting for sure. Good luck and all the best! :)

14. jose manuel said... November 12, 2010 at 2:30 AM

Suerte con tú proyecto.

15. I'm a full-time mummy said... November 12, 2010 at 4:06 AM

Lovely video! Love the commercial break! :) Your little man is so cute! Finally get to see him in action!

Btw, your video is good, love the music used and everything is nicely edited. Though I'd prefer the ingredients part to be a little bit slower but nevertheless, you have my vote for sure!

16. Yin said... November 12, 2010 at 6:25 AM

Lisa,
    Your son is so cute, such a charm and so natural in front of the camera :-P

The chicken wings look so delicious. Great video.

17. cooperl788 said... November 12, 2010 at 7:04 AM

OMG LOVE the video! Your sous chef is too cute, and I think it shows just how easy the recipe is to prepare. It's something I feel like I could do with Georgia. Seeing it on the video makes me feel more confident in doing it myself since I can see what you're doing, and see what it should look like. Anyway, great job!!

18. Celeste said... November 12, 2010 at 7:57 AM

You and your little sous chef should get your own show on the Food Network :) This was a great video!

19. Sommer J said... November 12, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Awww what a sweet video!!! You're a natural. You need to make more. Your sous chef is my favorite ever! My fave lil foodie! He's so sweet!

20. Sommer J said... November 12, 2010 at 8:40 AM

PS I LOOOOOOOOOVE your kitchen!

21. Fun and Fearless in Beantown said... November 12, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Best of luck! You know you have my vote!

22. Lawyer Loves Lunch said... November 12, 2010 at 10:29 AM

So cute! Those chicken wings look awesome and you were such a comfortable host! Give this woman her own tv show! And of course you have my vote, friend :)

23. Hannah said... November 12, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I loved your video! It was so fun to put a voice to the face, and your little sous chef is the cutest! I am craving those wings now! I am going to have to make those today LOL! You know I will be voting for you! I think you should try out and send a video in the Next Foodnetwork star on the Foodnetwork! I would watch your show!

24. whatsfordinneracrossstatelines said... November 12, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Lisa, you knocked it out of the park, you are a natural, you should sumbit this to Food Network! I was a fan before, but I'm a bigger one now! I love, love it! I'll be voting for you!

25. ~Lisa~ said... November 12, 2010 at 10:00 PM

@ Sumi, thanks silly girl! mythbusters rock!

@ Sara you are too kind lady. I am no pro. Inside I;m a ball of nerves. I just play it off well. At least I think I do (=

@ Karen, you know it makes it easier that I have someone to talk to and who better than my son. Thanks for the kudos!

@ Trish, thanks girl! Simner down....hehehe

@ Dimah, thank you! I appreciate it.

@ Jose, thanks! I really liked your latest cake.

@ Yin, my son makes things more relaxed. Thanks for the compliment. He is a natural. But all kids are.

@ Laura, thanks mama. Georgia will be a fine sous chef.

@ Celeste, really? haha um not sure of that one. But you're sweet, thanks.

@ Sommer, girl this was not by choice, I didn't want forfeit, hehe. thanks. my kitchen is small and not fancy but it has everything I need. thanks for liking it (=

@

26. Chef Dennis said... November 12, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Lisa
    what a great job with the video!!! I love your sous chef, and he has his own kitchen how cool is that!!
    Good luck in this round , you know you always have my vote!
    Dennis

27. jen cheung said... November 12, 2010 at 10:36 PM

love watching your video with your little man :) def got my vote again! good luck with challenge # 8 :)

have a lovely weekend!
    jen @ www.passion4food.ca

28. ajcabuang04 said... November 13, 2010 at 12:02 AM

I loved the video!! I'm def. going to vote for you!! I hope you win the whole thing!! :) hehe.

29. Monet said... November 13, 2010 at 12:45 AM

My dear woman. You have such a beautiful heart...and such a beautiful family. Both are evident here. You carry yourself with grace, and I could watch you and your cutie-pie every day of the week. Thank you for sharing...here's to a beautiful weekend! You deserve it.

30. Pacheco Patty said... November 13, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Lisa, your video was just wonderful. I think you're a natural in front of the camera as well as your sous chef. One more comment, I love the recipe for Asian chicken wings, I'll bet your guests loved it too:)

31. ~Lisa~ said... November 13, 2010 at 2:27 PM

@ Chef Dennis, thank you. I appreciate it.

@ Jen, you're sweet. Thanks for your votes.

@ AJ, Thank you. Thats the best compliment.

@ Monet, you always have a way with words and I always love your comments. Thanks sweetie (=

@ Patty, the wings are quite tasty and thank you for the compliment.

32. baking.serendipity said... November 13, 2010 at 3:56 PM

You and your sous chef are an amazing team! I loved getting to see you cook "live" :) Makes me feel like I know you a little more! Good luck :)

33. ~Lisa~ said... November 14, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Thanks Sarah! Remember to send me some slippers from Costco!

34. doreese said... November 14, 2010 at 9:57 PM

omg he is so freaking cute!!!!!!!!! and you are a natural!! I felt like I was watching foodnetwork lolol

now I want some chicken ahhhh :)

p.s are you fluent in Korean also??

35. Tara said... November 14, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Cutest sous chef ever!! I think you did amazing, Lisa!

36. Sippity Sup said... November 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM

I wish I had such a magnetic co-star! GREG

37. I'm a full-time mummy said... November 15, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I've just voted! The bestest of luck to you, Lisa! :D

행운을 빌어요!!!
    (I hope I got the above correct, it's from Google Translator btw)

38. Spicy Green Mango said... November 15, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Great to see you FBZFEST! You're such a darling and so is your little man! Voted!

39. FOODalogue said... November 15, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Very endearing video...so real. Your son is adorable, just like his mommy. Good luck moving forward.

40. Amelia PS said... November 15, 2010 at 3:10 PM

you are BOTH lovely and naturals. I love the kitchen dance :)

41. ~Lisa~ said... November 15, 2010 at 3:16 PM

@ Doreese hehe thanks love! And yes I speak fluent Korean. Vocab sucks but I do my best.

@ Tara thanks for the kudos! It means a lot to me.

@ Greg, you ROCKED in your video, I loved your recipe video and your kitchen is fab!

@ Jenny, thanks nice job on the Korean. I need all the luck I can get (=

@ Chandara (Spicy green mango) Thanks mama. You did a fantastic job on the video. I always love your work (=

@ Joan, Thank you so much. And it was lovely meeting you at the festival.

42. The Cuisinerd said... November 15, 2010 at 3:33 PM

How adorable is your little chef in training!? And very helpful.

Very much enjoyed watching your video.

43. Foodie, Interrupted said... November 15, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Yum! Can't wait to try these, they look wonderful! Your son is a doll!

44. Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron said... November 15, 2010 at 4:33 PM

You two are adorable!! Watching this makes me want to have kids soon. haha. I love your recipe. It sounds great. I also love the sous chef's little kitchen!!

45. Delishhh said... November 15, 2010 at 5:45 PM

So cute! Love it. I lived in Pusan for 5 years so i eat Korean all the time. Love your blog!

46. Mhel said... November 15, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Annyong Haseyo!! Congrats Lisa for making it to the next challenge. and finally thru your video, I was able to meet you virtually (the closest thing where I could really meet you). Your son is adorable! awww! How cute when he complains that his dad is getting so close to the bowl hahaha.. he has his own cute kitchen too. Its almost the same toy kitchen I wanted to have when I was a kid. I can see that you have a protege in the making! Of course you always have my vote...

47. Karen said... November 15, 2010 at 6:30 PM

This is by far my favorite video I've seen! I love the break in programming part. Too cute!
    The chicken looks fantastic...really yummy flavors.
    Good luck on this challenge...you've got my vote!

48. Diana said... November 15, 2010 at 8:30 PM

This is the cutest video ever! GL! I'm voting for you now! :)

49. Kath said... November 15, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Since your blog is "Korean American Mommy" it is so cool that you included your adorable little boy in the video. And the chicken wings do look fabulous. I just voted for you.

50. Hot Polka Dot's Mom said... November 15, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Just wanted you to know I tweeted a vote for you. Adorable sous chef. Great video.

51. Liren said... November 16, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Oh my goodness, your little guy is SOOO cute! I just love how he doesn't bat an eyelash and answers right away to the girlfriend question. One day, he's going to make a young lady very lucky (especially since he'll have an arsenal of tasty recipes from you!). Beautiful video, Lisa, you had nothing to worry about :) You are stunning inside and out and it shows on the screen.

52. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed said... November 16, 2010 at 2:02 AM

Oh my goodness! Lisa I am new to your blog, I found it through foodbuzz project food blog. I just had to say that your little boy is THE cutest kid. What a happy little chap. This video has made me clucky :) These look great, what a fabulous chef and sous chef team! Good luck (just voted for you!).
    Heidi xo

53. blackbookkitchendiaries said... November 16, 2010 at 11:31 AM

your video is so cute... your sous chef is just so adoreable in his little apron. you are so natural on camera and you look absolutely gorgeous. you have my vote for sure!

54. Joey said... November 16, 2010 at 1:38 PM

All of these recipes look so delicious! I love that you are a foodie mom, who is always trying out new recipes! And getting your sous chef involved is so important! Kids who cook and eat with their family regularly, learn to eat healthily and gain life skills in the process. Research has shown that kids that eat with their families do better in school, are healthier and have better communication skills.

That’s why I work with Healthy Monday, a nonprofit group behind a series of public health initiatives. Our brand new campaign is The Kids Cook Monday, which is a weekly chance for families to get together, cook, and take care of their health from the inside out. See more here: http://www.healthymonday.org/the-kids-cook-monday/. We are looking for family oriented blogs to help us spread the word about The Kids Cook Monday, through weekly posts. If you’re interested in taking part by doing weekly posts, please email me at info@TheKidsCookMonday.com

Thanks!
    Sara

55. Magic of Spice said... November 16, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Cute video...The little chef is really getting in on the action...
    Nice job :)

56. Spicie Foodie said... November 16, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Great video! Your little helper is adorable, and the wings look delicious. Best of luck & continued success on the PFB

57. Reeni said... November 16, 2010 at 6:57 PM

This is one of the sweetest videos I've seen! I love that you included your son - he's adorable! I, too thought of giving up on this challenge, briefly, but a chance like this doesn't come up too often and it's not in me to give up. I'm glad you didn't give up either!

58. Julie @ Willow Bird Baking said... November 16, 2010 at 7:40 PM

LOVE it! Your interactions with your son are so adorable, and I love how homey everything felt. You manage to look totally impeccable but still real! Great job!

59. Debbie said... November 16, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Again, what a cutie! Your sous chef is adorable and I love his mini kitchen! This was the only video I have watched all the way through, and I actually think I'm going to make these wings this weekend, my husband will love them. Good Luck in the next round!

60. edible cville... said... November 16, 2010 at 9:03 PM

OMG so FREAKING cute. And your video quality is superb...the HD definitely shows, nice work girl! Just voted...

61. Amy Kim said... November 16, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Both of you are naturals in front of the camera. You have a great presence and your son is SOOOO CUTE!

I am so getting those gloves. :-) I can't believe I didn't know about them until now!

Are you planning to attend Eat, Write, Retreat in DC in May??

Amy

62. Savory Sweet Living said... November 17, 2010 at 3:33 PM

I've been craving chicken wings lately and your recipes looks amazing. I love your sous chef. He is so adorable. How cute is he to have his own kitchen. You were so comfortable in front of the camera. Great job and good luck!

63. jacobskitchen said... November 17, 2010 at 5:01 PM

well first off, your son is just too cute. What a great video. You are so effortless in front of the camera, and you can tell that you all had a really good time putting it all together. So great to finally see you "in person" as it were. Those chicken wings look delicious, and yet so simple. I can imagine that they would be very popular on a buffet table. Nicely done, friend. best of luck to you in this round! hope to see us both in round 8!! =)

64. Debi Shawcross said... November 18, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Easy to see you are very comfortable and at ease +you are an adorable pair on camera!
    Great job-

65. Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot said... November 18, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Your video was awesome! I love how casual and relaxed your are. And your son is so adorable! Of course your chicken wings look delicious too! Good luck in the challenge!

66. A Little Yumminess said... November 18, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Love the recipe but the sous chef wins!! Good luck!

67. eataduckimust said... November 18, 2010 at 4:54 PM

best sous chef EVER!!!

68. ~Lisa~ said... November 18, 2010 at 6:41 PM

You all are so encouraging, it means the world to me that you enjoyed the video. I may have to make some more now (=

69. Heena @Tiffin Tales said... November 18, 2010 at 7:42 PM

You have the cutest, most adorable sous chef EVER. The scenes where he asks you to be careful with the oven and then with his own tiny kitchen stole my heart. As for the recipe, I'd love to try it - I love Asian inspired sauces and yours looks fabulous. You have my vote. Good luck!

70. Lana said... November 18, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Lisa, this was a great video, really! I am impressed with your calm manner while your oh, so helpful son stands next to you! The recipe sounds really delicious - an excellent variety to regular Buffalo wings we make often. Thanks for your inspiration and good luck!

71. Jean said... November 19, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Lisa, congrats on advancing to #8, yay! My comment comes after my vote but I wanted to say how much I enjoyed watching you and your sous chef--he's too adorable! And you looked so relaxed while filming.

Very well done. Can't wait to see what you have for #8. :-)

72. Tara said... November 20, 2010 at 4:16 PM

YIPPEE!!! Congratulations on moving up to round 8!! Very excited to see what you're going to do!

73. zmm said... November 21, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Congratulations, for making this far..

You really look so relax and a pro in this video.

And the cute little sous chef is also so cooperative!

I apologise I missed the voting again this round b'cos I was bz. I'll definitely remember next round

74. Quay Po Cooks said... November 22, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Congrats to you my dear and your cute sous chef! definitely vote for you the next wrong! BRUMM! BRUMM!

75. Small Burst said... December 18, 2010 at 10:25 AM

great job on your video and you have the cutest sous chef ever. I've missed on so much great stuff on your blog since I've been so darn busy.