Saturday, November 6, 2010

Homemade Chocolate Salt Water Taffy

Chocolate Salt Water Taffy. My first attempt at candy for the foodie gift exchange during the Foodbuzz Festival. They sort of resemble a tootsie roll but they taste so much better. They're chewier and deliciously chocolaty.

I also added a tin of Old Bay Seasoning. The foodie gift was to reflect my blog and/or food from my local region. You can't get any more East Coast/Maryland than good ole Old Bay Seasoning and Salt Water Taffy now can you.

The chocolate flavor is rich and the texture is light and chewy, exactly what a salt water taffy should be.

Courtesy of Cooks.com
1/3 Cup Sugar
1/8 Cup Corn Syrup
1/4 Cup Water
2-1/2 oz Ghirardelli Unsweetened Chocolate
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Organic Unsalted Butter
1/4 tsp Real Vanilla

1. Add the sugar, corn syrup, water, Ghirardelli chocolate and salt over high heat stirring constantly until your candy thermometer reads 260º degrees or until a small amount placed in cold water forms into a hard ball. Remove from heat add the butter and vanilla extract and stir well. Grease a dish generously with butter and pour the mixture and allow to cool.

2. Grease your hands with butter. When the taffy has cooled enough to handle take the taffy and pull until it has a satiny gloss, about 10 minutes. The reason for pulling the taffy is to incorporate many tiny air bubbles throughout the candy. This makes it lighter and chewier.

Make a 1/2 inch diameter rope with the taffy, cut with a greased knife or scissors, allow to sit out for about 20 minutes then wrap in wax paper. I added a foil wrap as well.

Check this link out, Science of Candy before attempting to make your own. This site provides some great tips that are useful when you're making taffy or any type of candy for that matter. The internet is truly an awesome resource. Enjoy.

1. Tara said... November 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Yum!! I love Tootsie Rolls but yours looks SO much better!

2. Luciana said... November 6, 2010 at 11:15 AM

It's a great recipe!!! have a good week end my dear, kiss :)

3. I'm a full-time mummy said... November 6, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Ooo looks yummy! And love the packaging!

4. cooperl788 said... November 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Okay, super yummy! I'm definitely going to be trying this recipe!

5. jose manuel said... November 6, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Que delicia estos trocitos de chocolate, y así envueltos.

6. Sommer J said... November 6, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Delicious!! Definitely a must try for me as well. I miss home. Luckily I have access to commissary, s I am never short of Old bay!

7. Fun and Fearless in Beantown said... November 6, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Have a great time at Foodbuzz Fest!

8. Dimah said... November 6, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Looks beautiful and delicious!

9. Lisa said... November 6, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Oh yum, I love Tootsie Rolls. I know I'd enjoy receiving this taffy as a gift.

10. Gitte said... November 7, 2010 at 7:29 AM

Oh I think you succeeded here! Looks delicious.

11. Pretend Chef said... November 7, 2010 at 8:30 AM

While I not a big fan of Tootsie Rolls or taffy (just don't like food that gets stuck to my teeth) this look yummy! I wouldn't mind receiving these.

12. Brindusa said... November 7, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Hello Lisa. Nice to see you after a long time. I am so busy lately!
    I love your candies. They look mouthwatering. I wish I am there to eat some.

13. Susi said... November 7, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Having lived in Delaware for several years I have come to love salt water taffy and yours looks great! What a fantastic idea for a gift exchange :o)

14. Monet said... November 7, 2010 at 10:45 AM

How beautiful! I would be tickled pink to receive one of these tiny boxes of chocolate goodness. I'm sure that everyone enjoyed them! These would be great to add to Christmas gifts. Thank you for sharing!

15. Hannah said... November 7, 2010 at 10:56 AM

What a great recipe! This looks so good! These would make great treats to add to gifts for the holidays!

16. Jean said... November 7, 2010 at 11:46 AM

What a thoughtful, fun and delicious gift. Too bad I wasn't sitting at your table Friday night! :-)

Lisa, it was so nice to meet you at the Foodbuzz Festival. Glad to have gotten to know you a bit better. You did great on your Nature's Pride presentation of the Bread Sticks (great-tasting, too).

Safe travels home! :-)

17. foodieinberlin.com said... November 7, 2010 at 2:54 PM

I heard about Salt Water Taffy on the TV series Friends. Sounds interesting - in a good way. Congratulations on your success in the Food Buzz competition so far!

18. Lawyer Loves Lunch said... November 7, 2010 at 5:36 PM

These look absolutely delicious! I'm kinda bummed I wasn't your food gift trade partner :) It was such a pleasure meeting you in person and watching your Nature's Pride presentation :)

19. Annette said... November 7, 2010 at 5:40 PM

This sounds super yummy. You're right...everytime I go to Maryland or NJ, especially the boardwalks, Salt Water Taffy is a must! I'll be saving this recipe for a near future treat!

20. Marisa said... November 7, 2010 at 6:15 PM

I love salt water taffy and tootsie rolls--basically any kind of candy that gets stuck in my teeth! These came out fanstastic. The Old Bay seasoning is a really unxpected ingredient, but everyone knows that Old Bay makes everything taste better :-)

21. Evan @swEEts said... November 8, 2010 at 10:20 AM

I really want to try my hand at candies.. I was thinking the holidays would be a good time to start. Thanks for sharing the recipe :) I can't wait to try it!! Hope you had fun at FBfest!

22. Magic of Spice said... November 8, 2010 at 12:11 PM

What an interesting add with the Old Bay...They look delightful and I am sure taste fantastic :)

23. Kim - Liv Life said... November 8, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Mmm!! Nicely done! One of my daughter's favorite treats. Saw your pic on Gina's post, sounds like you all had a wonderful time! Can't tell you how envious I was thinking about you all. =)

24. Juliana said... November 8, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Oh Lisa...homemade taffy...looks great and so cute how you wrap them :-)

25. Stair Climbing said... November 9, 2010 at 2:47 PM

What a wonderful thing to make to be able to share, I am thinking Christmas stockings.

26. Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron said... November 9, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Those are so adorable! Can I have some? Hope you had a good time at the festival. Please share the story and pictures!

27. baking.serendipity said... November 9, 2010 at 9:09 PM

These look wonderful! I love Tooties Rolls...but these look over the top!

28. Emily @ Foodie/Nutritionist said... November 10, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Lisa - it was so great to get to meet you last weekend at the festival! I have been a fan of your blog for a while, you always have such wonderful posts and pictures.

Loving the homemade taffy, bet it was yummy!

29. ~Lisa~ said... November 10, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Thank you all. I devoured the last pieces when I returned home from the Foodbuzz festival. Super simple and really tasty! Hope you get the chance to make them.

30. ButterYum said... November 11, 2010 at 6:58 PM

I believe this is my first visit to your blog. It's wonderful!! I'll be back for more!!

ButterYum

31. Amy Gunther said... December 4, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Looks great, can't wait to try them! How long do you think they'd still be good, if I were to make them early for presents?

32. Jelly Shot Test Kitchen said... December 7, 2010 at 12:17 AM

I totally remember the taffy! So shiny and pretty! Great post and pretty photos! Cheers, Michelle

33. Yusuf said... April 21, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Thanks for this great dessert...