Sunday, October 24, 2010

Korean Doshirak (도시락) Lunch, PFB Challenge #6, Road Trip!

Folks, I'm still in it. I'm one of 60 bloggers that has advanced onto Challenge #6 of Foodbuzz's, Project Food Blog Contest!

Thank you all so much for your votes and support. It really means a lot to me. There are so many talented bloggers who are innovative and   produce quality recipes along with their writing and photos. I feel honored to be a part of such an amazing group of foodies. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

For this specific challenge, our goal was to create a meal on the go that is both delicious, packs/travels well, and still looks fantastic. The only requirements were 1) that the meal fit into the cooler you see in the photo above and 2) the meal must consist of an entree, side, drink and dessert. Your meal on the go could be a dish that you're bringing to a friends house for a party, a picnic, school lunches, the possibilities are endless.

So my immediate thought was to go back to my roots, Korea. And when I think of picnic lunches, I think of simple Doshirak or also known as Bento. I would see these neatly packed lunches on the Korean dramas my mom and I used to watch. The variety in size of these doshirak's ranges from a single meal to feeding many. Also, the popularity of these Asian influenced meals on the go are making its appearance more and more.

At first, we we're going to go on a family picnic nearby. Instead, I decided that I pack a simple doshirak and bring it to my mom (who was working that day) for a picnic lunch. She works so much I rarely get to see her. Boo! I also, invited my brother. Who by the way is 11 years younger. My little (well not so little now) brother who used to call me mom in public just to embarrass me. And the same one who cried his eyes out when I left for college and begged me not to go. Needless to say, I cried my eyes out the entire drive down to school. I practically raised that kid.

Okay enough of the sappy stuff. Moving right along...

I was able to fit quite a bit in the cooler you see above in that photo. I was curious to hear what my very opinionated and a bit picky mom would have to say about my Korean cooking.

The contents of the cooler included a brown/white rice combo, Korean radish soup (무국), Korean cod fillets (생선전), beef stuffed Korean peppers (고기 고추부침), Korean sweet & sour cucumber kimchi (오이 김치), Korean mung bean sprouts (숙주나물), Korean blanched spinach (시금치 무침),  Korean dried anchovy sauté (멸치 볶음) and lastly a Korean chestnut dessert and 4 bottles of water. I opted not to bring kimchi since my mom had to get back to work. And those of us that eat kimchi know that it's not the most flattering scent to have permeating throughout your work place. Although the way I use garlic in my dishes probably didn't help much either.

I prepared some of the dishes the night before and made last minute dishes the day of the picnic lunch. I made the following recipes and photos in chronological order, taking into consideration those dishes that can be done ahead of time without jeopardizing the taste, temperature and texture of the dish.

The First Dish
Anchovy Sauté (멸치 볶음)
1-1/2 Cups Korean Dried Anchovy (about an inch and a half long) you can find this in your Asian/Korean grocers
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
2-1/2 tsp Minced Garlic
2-1/4 tbsp Sugar (brown or white)

1. Heat your pan on medium and A) measure out the anchovies, B) add the vegetable oil, C) soy sauce, D) minced garlic, E) sugar and F) sauté until crispy and sprinkle generously with sesame seeds. Set aside.

My love of course had to sample the goodies. He absolutely loved the anchovies! They're crispy, savory and a bit sweet. They're perfect as a snack. And not to mention healthy and loaded with omega 3's.

As I was plating and taking photos, he couldn't keep his hands off the delicious anchovies.

The Second Dish
Korean Radish Soup (무국)
1 Beef Shank Bone in Chuck
8 Cups Water
1/2 Medium Korean Radish
2 Scallions, chopped to about one inch
1 tbsp Minced Garlic
Salt & Black Pepper to Taste

1. A) Soak your beef shank for about an hour, allowing the blood to drain. Drain the water and rinse. Pour about 8 cups of water over the beef shank and boil on high for a few minutes and reduce heat to medium and allow to cook for about an hour or so. Take the meat out, discard bone and chop up the beef and set aside. B) Chop the radish as thick or an thin as you would like (but not too thin). C) Add to soup along with the scallions, garlic and meat. allow to simmer until radish is tender. Add salt & pepper to taste.

Reheat when you're ready to pour in the thermos so that it remains hot.

The Third Dish
Korean Mung Bean Sprouts (숙주나물)
1 lb Mung Bean Sprouts
2 tsp Garlic
2 tsp Sesame Oil
1 Scallion, chopped thin
Salt to taste
Sesame Seeds

1. A) Prepare the sprouts, see the brownish ends, B) gently break apart those straggly ends. C) It takes some time and you'll be left with a bunch of icky looking sprout ends. D) And left with nice and clean sprouts. E) Boil a pot of water, reduce heat to medium and place the sprouts to cook until they become slightly soft. F) Drain the water. G) Add the garlic, sesame oil, scallions H) and sprouts, mix well and add salt to taste and sprinkle with sesame seeds. I) Take a photo if you're a food blogger, then refrigerate.

This side dish is simple, light and flavorful with a bit of crunch. And great added to Korean bibimbap.

The Fourth Dish
Korean Blanched Spinach (시금치 무침)
1 Large Bag of Ready to use Spinach
1/2 tsp Minced Garlic
3.4 tsp Sesame Oil
Salt & Black Pepper to taste
Sesame Seeds

1. A) Boil a pot of water. Blanch spinach. Drain and squeeze access water. B) Add the garlic, sesame oil, salt & pepper to taste and sprinkle sesame seeds. Refrigerate.

The Fifth Dish
Korean Sweet & Sour Cucumber Kimchi (오이 김치)
5 Persian Cucumbers
2 Scallions, chopped thin
2 tsp Minced Garlic
3/4 tsp Korean Concentrated Vinegar (found at your Asian/Korean Grocers)
3/4 tsp Sesame Oil
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Korean Red Pepper Flakes (found at your Asian/Korean Grocers)
Sesame Seeds

1. A) Peel your cucumbers. B) Chop them and set aside. C) Wash and trim your scallions. D) Chop the scallions thin. E) In a bowl, add the cucumbers, scallions, garlic, sesame oil, vinegar, salt, sugar, red pepper flakes and sprinkle with sesame seeds. F) Mix well and refrigerate.

Plate and take a photo. Okay, that was unnecessary. A lot of these step by steps are. But it sure makes for a visual stimulating read. Don't you think?

The Sixth Dish
(I made this the morning of the picnic so that it remained warm in the Doshirak)
Beef Stuffed Korean Peppers (고기 고추부침)
7 Korean Peppers, halved and deseeded
3/4 Cup Minced Lean Beef
2 tsp Soy Sauce
2 tsp Sesame Oil
2 tsp Garlic
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Mirin Rice Cooking Wine
Pinch of Black Pepper
2 Eggs
1/4 Flour or more
Extra Virginia Olive Oil

1. A) Cut the peppers in half. B) Discard seeds. C) Repeat until all the peppers are prepped. D) Add a bit of flour to the inside of the peppers. E) Set aside, this will help the meat to bind to the pepper when cooked. F) Chop your lean beef into small pieces and pound with a meat tenderizer. G) Add the garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, sugar, Mirin, and black pepper. H) Mix well using your hands. I) Set aside. J) Take about a tablespoon of meat or depending on the size of your pepper and place inside the halved pepper. K) Repeat with all the peppers pressing gently but firmly to secure the meat and set aside. L) Lightly flour the meat stuffed peppers. M) Coat with egg allowing the excess to drip off. N) Heat your pan on medium/low, add oil and place the peppers meat side down. O) Flip over when it becomes golden in color. Place on a paper towel plate.

The Seventh Dish
Korean Cod Fillets (생선전)
1.5 lbs Wild Cod Fillets
2 Eggs, whisked
1/4 cup Flour
Salt
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1. A) Gently rinse the fish in cold water and part dry with a paper towel. B) Cut the fish to about a 2x2 square and lightly sprinkle with salt. C) Lightly coat with flour. D)  Dip into the egg mixture (I added some flour & a tiny bit of salt to the egg mixture). E) Heat up a pan on medium/low heat and add oil. F) Flip over when it turns golden. Place on a paper towel plate.

This fish dish is one of my favorite childhood dishes.

And last but not least the Dessert!

(Made this the morning of the picnic)
Korean Chestnut Dessert
Courtesy of The Art of Korean Cooking with modifications
1-1/4 lbs Fresh Chestnuts (found in your Asian/Korean Grocers)
1-1/2 tbsp Honey (to taste)
2 tbsp Sesame Seeds
1/4 tsp Salt
1/8 or 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 Cup Pine Nuts (boy, these guys are $$$!), ground coarsely for coating

1. A) Wash the chestnuts and boil in about 2 cups of water on medium heat for about an hour. B) Allow to cool (I placed mine in cold ice water) then peel and scoop the chestnut out. C) Peeling chestnuts is no fun. But definitely worth the hassle. D) Place the peeled chestnuts in a mortar and pestle or your food processor.

2. A) Mash the chestnuts. B) Add the sesame seeds, honey, salt & cinnamon. C) Grind until smooth and mix well. D) Form into balls.

3. A) Using a food processor add the pine nuts. B) Coarsely grind the pine nuts. C) Place the ground pine nuts on a plate. D) Take the prepared chestnut ball E) Place it in the ground pine nuts. F) Evenly roll the chestnut to coat. Repeat.

This dessert is a healthy and delicious treat that has the taste of sweet potatoes. Quite delicious I might add.

Korean food is often light and healthy. The use of sesame oil & seeds, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes are common ingredients used in Korean Cuisine.

Now the big task was to fit all the dishes into containers. I bought a Korean Doshirak container that was very useful and portable. The Doshirak container had three compartments with lids that were stackable. Love this!

I packed the cucumber kimchi separately due to the water content. As well as the dessert. The soup and rice were the last items to be packed so that it would remain hot at our picnic lunch. The soup was poured into a stainless steel thermos and the rice in an aluminum container with lid.

Luckily everything fit. We each had chopsticks, spoons, plates, bowls and Fiji water.

We picked my mom and brother up and found a nice picnic area nearby.

Each of us had a delicious Korean picnic meal.

My love of course had a plate too. With his own training chopsticks!

He did quite well picking up the rice. Then he was impatient with the vegetables and proceeded to eat with his hands.

CUTENESS!
And then my love came over and gave me a kiss.

Korean Doshirak picnic, SUCCESS!

Thanks again for allowing me to advance to Challenge #6, Road Trip of the Project Food Blog Contest. My family appreciates it too!

The Project Food Blog contest has been an incredible experience so far and I hope that I can continue. Voting opens Monday. I'll be sure to post a reminder.

In the meantime, when the contestant widget below changes from "See My Profile" to "Vote for me" I know all of you will click to cast your votes for me! Enjoy friends.

1. I'm a full-time mummy said... October 24, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Ahhh..what a heartwarming post! I felt as though I was there with you guys for the picnic as well! As always, lovely lovely recipes and photos of your little man!

And yes, as always, I'm definitely going to vote for you! :)

2. Tara said... October 24, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I was so excited to see that you had advanced!! Your picnic looks delicious and I can't wait until voting opens! Best of luck this round....hopefully we see you in the next round!

Before I forget, I have a house full of kids singing "There's a party in my tummy...SO YUMMY SO YUMMY!". Thanks for that! lol

3. Sommer J said... October 24, 2010 at 1:29 PM

LOVED it!!! What a beautiful family you have!!! Your mother can pass for your sis ;) Congratulations on making it to the 6th round!!!

Everything looks so delicious! You really go out of the way and make tasty delicious dishes and a gorgeous environment for anyone over. It all made with love and I'd looove to be invited out anywhere with you! I just love it!

Your lil man is such a little ham! I love it! He's so adorable!! What a model eater! He's my favorite mini foodie!

4. Ruth said... October 24, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Hey Lisa... congratulations on making it to the 6th!! and my, those look so so yummy...!!

Have a blessed week ahead... and best of luck for the next rounds!!

5. jose manuel said... October 24, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Que menú más interesante, de verdad es que son recetas super deliciosas.

6. Hannah said... October 24, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Yummy, can you make my picnic lunches for me from now on LOL! I love all the food you made, and I love the pictures of you and the family! Hope you are having a great Sunday! Oh yeah and Congrats! You know I will be voting for you! I want you to win this one =)

7. Fresh Local and Best said... October 24, 2010 at 3:53 PM

You totally go over the top with your challenges, it's impressive! I'm not surprised that you have come this far! I'm looking forward to trying some of these recipes, these are among my favorite Korean dishes.

8. aipi said... October 24, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Hey Lisa.... congratulations for making to the 6th round. I believe you have the passion it takes to be a winner... your recipes tell the story beautifully... congrats again and hope you win (you probably guessed you have my vote :)

9. Sunmi said... October 24, 2010 at 4:46 PM

맛있겠다~~ ^^

This post is making me crave Korean food even more than I have already been! Congratulations on making it to the 6th round! 화이팅!!

10. Kim - Liv Life said... October 24, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Nicely done Lisa!! What a wonderful meal... I'm eager to give those peppers a try. Those photos of your son and the anchovies are priceless! Love the pics of you and your family as well, Good Luck!!!

11. Zoe said... October 24, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Hi Lisa, I hope you will win the challenge. I will vote for you...your Korean food look very yummy! Good luck!

12. cooperl788 said... October 24, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Congrats on making it so far! Your blog is so awesome, a place I always go for inspiration. The doshirak looks soooo good - especially the cucumber kimchi. And I love the training chopsticks for your sweet little guy!
    What a beautiful family!

13. jen cheung said... October 24, 2010 at 9:15 PM

awwwies! look at that wonderful picnic and family! so heart warming seeing how happy u guys are :) good luck with challenge # 6 - no doubt I will keep supporting!!

Have a great week up ahead!
    jen @ www.passion4food.ca

14. Fun and Fearless in Beantown said... October 24, 2010 at 9:30 PM

I showed the photo of your son eating the anchovies and I teased him because he still won't eat it but your son will! :-) Good luck with Project Food Blog...you've got my vote!

15. ~Lisa~ said... October 24, 2010 at 9:55 PM

I'm so glad all of you liked the idea. I know not everyone enjoys Korean food but I love eating Korean Doshirak. Thank you for your votes!

16. Satya said... October 24, 2010 at 9:59 PM

hey lisa many many hearty congrats to u dear for entering 6th round ..ur mom looks very sweet like u ....i enjoyed all ur food clicks along with ur family clicks ....the spread is very delicious ...all the best n u always have my vote :)

Satya

17. ~Lisa~ said... October 24, 2010 at 10:01 PM

@ Sunmi, 고마워! 화이팅!

18. Kay Heritage said... October 24, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Great job, Lisa! You are representing Korean cuisine so well! So proud of you!

19. GreenGirl said... October 24, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Nice done Lisa, every time I enjoy reading your blog and love looking at your pictures, they are so perfect. You can read the happiness on your family faces. You are so lucky to have each other.

20. Lilia said... October 24, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Lisa, congratulations on making it to the 6th challenge! I really love your Korean picnic menu ideas =D The next time Anthony and I get a chance to pack up an alfresco lunch, we'll definitely give it a try ;) As always, you get my vote and I hope you make it through to the end!!

21. baking.serendipity said... October 25, 2010 at 12:20 AM

I love all of your photographs! This picnic looks like it was an awesome time. There are so many foods I need to add to my "must try" list now. Thanks for sharing so much of your culture's foods!

22. Ben said... October 25, 2010 at 4:20 AM

I can't believe that two of us now did Korean without kimchi. My grandma would have been so disappointed. ;)

Of course, I love all of this. Especially the jeon. Korean food was really made for picnics. Question about your dessert: have you tried making this with those precooked chestnuts? The ones they sell in mylar pouches? Those chestnuts are pretty good, just wondering how they would do here.

23. Jay said... October 25, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Hy Lisa,

chanced upon your space while blog hopping...fantastic space with lovely write up...very interesting recipes...

Good luck ..have voted for you..

do drop in mine...whenever time permits...

cheers,
    Jay

Tasty Appetite

24. sadaf said... October 25, 2010 at 8:29 AM

best of luck for the round #6.... And definately you will get my vote .... i enjoyed this picnic alot.

25. Pretend Chef said... October 25, 2010 at 9:02 AM

I want to keep voting you through in order to see more photos of that adorable little man!!! Oh how he melts my heart for his love of his mama's home cookin'! He reminds me of my toddler. The picnic looks incredible and I wish I was there to sample the eats. Those beef stuffed Korean peppers have my mouth watering. Great job! Can't wait to see what you come up with for the next round!

26. Amelia PS said... October 25, 2010 at 10:22 AM

it all looks delectable

27. I'm a full-time mummy said... October 25, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Hey Lisa!

Voted already! Good luck! :)

28. Duchess said... October 25, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Just WOW! Amazing. Really, just fabulous and what a beautiful family you have!

29. Roxan said... October 25, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Lisa, i love your entry for this challenge! Super cute family... So sad that he cried when you left for college, but heartwarming at the same time. All this food looks delicious - please please invite me to your next picnic!

30. Sippity Sup said... October 25, 2010 at 11:46 AM

So many new tastes for me! But so beautifully presented as usual. GREG

31. Leila Hamilton said... October 25, 2010 at 1:54 PM

this lunch looks absolutely delicious! your post is so beautifully put together, you did a fantastic job!
    Leila @ My Barbarian Table

32. whatsfordinneracrossstatelines said... October 25, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Lisa,
    You did a wonderful job with this one! I felt like you brought me along, what a beautiful family you have. I want some of those Korean peppers. I love all the different tastes you introduced me to. Wishing you the best of luck!

33. Ananda Rajashekar said... October 25, 2010 at 2:18 PM

My vote for you Lisa, beautiful picture and wonderful picnic foods, cute pic of baby love!

34. ~Lisa~ said... October 25, 2010 at 2:53 PM

@ Kay, I'm totally flattered that you said that! Thank you!

@ Greengirl, You're so sweet! Thank you for reading and the encouraging words!

@ Lilia, thanks so much!

@ Sarah, girl I just love reading your posts!

@ Ben, I think with your Korean kimbap and other goodies, we could collaborate and have a feast! And yes, I know of those pre-made chestnuts and they would work fine too. The idea of fresh ones seemed nice at the moment. But after peeling a dozen or more chestnuts, the pre-made ones would have been so much easier (=

@ Jay, thanks for stopping by. I'll be by yours shortly.

@ Sadaf, thank you so much for your votes!

@ Pretend Chef thank you fellow mommy. My boy is such a sweetheart. Thank you also for your votes and encouragement!

@ Amelia, why thank you!

@ Thanks Jenny FTM!

@ Duchess, thanks dear!

@ Roxan, you really need to come to the Foodbuzz festival! Thanks girl!

@ Greg, your environmentally conscious picnic was fab!

@ Leila, thank you so much. Your bruschetta's looked so yummy!

@ Gina, thanks! Loved the POM benedict!

@ Amanda, thank you for voting! It really means so much to me (=

35. Marie (Food Nouveau) said... October 25, 2010 at 4:33 PM

What a wonderful meal, you worked hard on that one! The Korean Doshirak seems like the ultimate picnic carrier, and the food that you put in it is very appetizing and healthy. I love to get to know more Korean flavors, so I'm boomarking this post (many of the dishes would be perfect in a cocktail menu!). Really great job.

36. Magic of Spice said... October 25, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Love those cucumbers :) Great menu and looks like a fun family time...

37. Mariko said... October 25, 2010 at 5:49 PM

When I first saw the sardines I wasn't sure, but then I thought-- crunchy-- kind of like Shishamo! I like Korean food so I'm sure it's so good.

38. FOODalogue said... October 25, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Your gorgeous child wins me over every time! And he loves anchovies...what a kid! Beautiful family and very tasty picnic basket.

39. Tiny Urban Kitchen said... October 25, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Wow, you totally went ALL OUT with so many different dishes! Would have loved to go on that picnic with you. Love the pics of your son - he's so cute!

40. Lisa {Authentic Suburban Gourmet } said... October 25, 2010 at 10:44 PM

What a great post! I learned so much more about all these great foods. BTW - love the "training" chopsticks - those are priceless! Great job and good luck!!

41. Queen of Cuisine said... October 25, 2010 at 10:47 PM

What a wonderful post. Looks amazing- I really enjoyed reading and drooling over your food.

Sending you a vote.

-Lisa.

42. Peter @ FotoCuisine said... October 25, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Oh, what wonderful food! Those anchovies look great, and I'm going to have to try to make those beef stuffed peppers one day. Good luck! (Voted!)

43. Jean said... October 25, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Gosh, you packed a huge picnic in that bag and it all looks so good! Love the story about your brother--only they can do that and get away with it, right?

Beautiful family pictures too. Congrats on doing so well on PFB. Well done. :-)

44. Monet said... October 26, 2010 at 1:26 AM

You have my vote, again and again! You are such an inspiration to me. Not only are you creative, talented and engaging, but you have such a beautiful family. Every meal your prepare is brimming with love. Thanks for sharing my dear!

45. Karen from Globetrotter Diaries said... October 26, 2010 at 1:41 AM

Such cute photos!!!! I LOVE those cod fillets, so thanks for the recipe :). I'll have to try making those soon. Voting now.... Good luck!

46. megan @ whatmegansmaking said... October 26, 2010 at 6:10 AM

I absolutely loved this! you're making me anxious to start a family of my own - your son is absolutely adorable. It's obvious the love you put into this post and I loved reading about all the traditional korean foods! voting for you now :)

47. doris said... October 26, 2010 at 6:49 AM

Sooo cute & yummy looking~!

You make me want to get married and have babies NOW! haha I cannot wait to cook and make cute doshiraks for my family LOL

I love your blog!! My friend looked at yours bc she saw your comment on my blog and she brought it up today and we decided we're going to try one of your recipes next week after midterms :)

48. Dimah said... October 26, 2010 at 8:50 AM

What a beautiful post and photos! looks amazing.
    Great job and good luck! :)

49. Eleanor Chung said... October 26, 2010 at 10:04 AM

What a beautiful doshirak! Where do you find doshirak containers in the US? I have such a hard time packing lunches using only tupperware...

50. Heather said... October 26, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Wow, what a spread!!

51. ~Lisa~ said... October 26, 2010 at 1:39 PM

@ Marie, thank you so much! I really liked your apple themed menu and your story of the lovely cottage.

@ Alisha, thanks!

@ Mariko, the anchovies are really good. Not fishy at all, taste more like a crispy shrimp chip that's sweet and savory. They're great little snacks and can be eaten at room temperature, making it great for traveling for a heathy snack.

@ FOODalogue, Thank you I think he's quite handsome myself. And the anchovies were a first for him and I was nicely surprised that he enjoyed it so much. Looking froward to meeting you in person at the festival!

@ Tiny Urban Kitchen, your picnic was amazing. I loved the edible bowls!

@ Lisa, thank you!

@ Lisa, a lot of Lisa's here (=. Thank you for your vote!

@ Peter, thank you. Your family picnic was fantastic. Just beautiful!

@ Jean, thanks for the kudos!

@ Monet, you are such a sweetie. I'll be by yours shortly! I hope Ryan is doing better.

@ Karen, yay the cod fillets are super simple, tasty and can be eaten cold too!

@ Megan, your life will change once you have a lil one. They are such precious gifts!

@ Doris, slow down lady, hehe have fun while your young, do everything you've always wanted to do then find the one you can settle down with to start a family. Its worth the wait! Hope the recipe come out yummy. And good luck with your studies.

@ Dimah, your most recent dish looks delish and reminds me of nachos!

@ Eleanor, oh my, tupperware works too. I just needed something that held the food nicely and was presentable. You can find it in Korean markets and i'm sure online as well.

@ Heather, thank you!

52. We Are Not Martha said... October 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM

I love that you packed so much into the cooler!! Everything looks delightful. Good luck!! :)

Sues

53. Karen said... October 26, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Wow! What a feast! Looks like a fantastic picnic. The chestnut dessert and cod fillets look especially delicious.
    Good luck! You've got my vote!

54. Nads' Bakery said... October 26, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Way to go umma. You're amazing.

55. Seattle Pastry Girl said... October 26, 2010 at 8:56 PM

What a beautiful job you did and I love your photos ! Good luck,you have my vote !

56. Hyosun Ro said... October 26, 2010 at 9:32 PM

What an impressive work!! Congrats on advancing to round 6. Well deserved. You know you have my vote.

57. Debbie said... October 26, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Oh those beef stuffed korean peppers look amazing, and as usual your little cutie stole the show!

58. Andrea@WellnessNotes said... October 27, 2010 at 12:08 AM

What a beautiful picnic! Everything looks and sounds delicious! And your little "taster" is sooo adorable!

Good luck in the challenge!!!

59. Daydreamer Desserts said... October 27, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Great job on your picnic post, that Korean chestnut dessert by the way, is SOOOO calling my name! :)

60. lostpastremembered said... October 27, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Most happy to vote for you... really charming post and so many exotic Korean dishes that I am not familiar with... you have my interest up now... I just want to try everything!

61. Susi said... October 27, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Thanks for stopping by my blog :o)
    What a lovely entry for the 6th round of PFB! I loved being introduced to so many incredible sounding dishes that I had never heard of. You did a great job and I'm hoping over to vote for you! I'll be back for sure! :o)

62. riceandwheat said... October 27, 2010 at 3:39 PM

This picnic looks absolutely awesome, with all the little dishes and bites to munch on. My husband and I are certified snack addicts and will readily skip ordering entrees in favor of a bunch of small dishes, so this is our kind of picnic! I've actually always wondered how to make the anchovy saute, which is my favorite banchan at restaurants - thanks for the recipe! :)

63. ~Lisa~ said... October 27, 2010 at 4:20 PM

@ We are not Martha, thanks girls, your shopping/lunch combo, any gal would love it!

@ Karen, thank you so much!

@ Nad's aigoo hehe thanks!

@ SPG, you votes are much appreciated.

@ Hyosun, thank you. Your kimchi/pork bokum and tofu dish is one of my favorites.

@ Debbie, my lil man is the show, keke. I do this for him.

@ Andrea, thank you!

@ Daydreamer Dessert, I can ship for a nominal fee (=

@ lostpastremembered, your dishes and post are always so thoughtful and educational. Loved your mushroom dish.

@ Susi, so glad I found your blog, Those witches finger cookies were the best, They looked so real!

@ Riceandwheat, thanks, In Korea like other Asian countries, soup & rice is considered an entree, along with the banchans (sides). So it depends on the culture. Not everybody eats sandwiches as an entree (=

64. Adelina said... October 27, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Kudos to you! I enjoyed reading the sappy story. I also loved those stuffed peppers. I can't believe you were able to fit all those into the bag. Nice work... my vote is in.

65. Savory Sweet Living said... October 27, 2010 at 4:53 PM

I love that you prepared so many dishes for this picnic and you did all traditional Korean dishes. Great job and the pictures are beautiful. Love the family shots too. Voted and good luck!

66. The Cilantropist said... October 28, 2010 at 1:48 AM

I totally want to make that sweet and sour cucumber kimichi, NOW. ;) Loved your post, and a great entry. Voted!

67. Winnie said... October 28, 2010 at 7:50 AM

Please please please invite me next time you pack a picnic! I would absolutely love to try all of these Korean dishes :) Voting for you!

68. Quay Po Cooks said... October 28, 2010 at 10:41 AM

I voted and look forward to vote for you again next round! Best of Luck!

69. Jeanette said... October 29, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I love Korean food and look forward to following your blog.

70. Dionne Baldwin said... October 30, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I apolozige I did not get around to leaving a comment before now but I did vote as soon as voting opened. You have amazing ideas and I love your step by step photos, as always. You are so creative! I'm with you all the way.

71. zmm said... October 31, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Aw.. this is wonderful.
    I so love the Korean side dishes, I'm going to try them.

And.. definitely voting for you!

72. zmm said... October 31, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Hey gee, voting has ended! That's like soooo soon.
    Hmphth!

73. Jane Ko said... November 5, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Hello!
    I can't express how happy I am to come across your food blog :) I love Korean food and can't get enough of it. I'm Taiwanese but my boyfriend is Korean and I'm always calling up his mom to get more korean recipes.
    I love fried anchovies, my mom use to make those for me when I was little.

Do you have a recipe for korean pancakes?

74. ~Lisa~ said... February 19, 2011 at 7:14 PM

@ Jane, oh my this is such a late response. I'm not sure which pancakes you're referring to. I'll try an get the soy bean pancakes called been dae dduk.

75. Anonymous said... November 5, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Hi, I am a real fan of Korean food, and have even helped promote it in the country in which I live . I am also a fan of Asian flavors, and have used adzuki beans as a filling for various desserts. However, I tried the little chestnut balls and they actually do taste like sweet potatoes, which is not the kind of flavor I,my friends and family consider a dessert flavor. Now I don't know what to do with them.
    I look forward to trying the other recipes however, and enjoy your blog.

76. Dianne said... October 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I bought fresh chestnuts at a Korean grocery store and found your wonderful recipe while looking for ideas on how to prepare them. Thank you! Delicious!