Sunday, September 12, 2010

Korean Red Cabbage & Carrot Slawchi

I made a Korean Style Red Cabbage Slawchi over the weekend. Yep you heard me a slawchi. A combination of a red cabbage, carrot & onion cole slaw like texture with a sweet and tangy kimchiesque flavor. This mildly spicy, slawchi is the perfect side to any meal. If you've ever had the spicy, sweet and tangy Korean cucumber side dish, well this dressing is very similar in taste. I just made up some new terms, kimchiesque and slawchi. Love it.

This side went perfectly with the Korean Beef & Tofu burgers we had over the Labor day weekend. The crunch and flavors were absolutely fantabulous. A must try for sure!

1/2 Red Cabbage, Sliced thin
2 Medium Carrots, Shredded
1 Small Onion, Sliced thin
3 Spring Onions, Diced
2-1/2 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
1 tbsp Agave Syrup (to your liking)
1 tbsp Korean Red Pepper Flakes (to your liking)
2 tsp Minced Garlic
2 tsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Fish Sauce
2 tbsp Toasted Sesame Seeds

1. Thinly slice the red cabbage and onion. Shred the carrots. Add the rice wine vinegar, agave syrup, korean red pepper flakes, minced garlic, sesame oil, salt, fish sauce, spring onions and toasted sesame seeds in a separate bowl or a measuring cup and mix well. Pour onto the cabbage, carrots and onions and toss.

I don't know what it is with me and the color purple these days. The vibrant color is absolutely stunning and its also packed with nutrients and vitamins. Enjoy friends!

1. Peggy said... September 12, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I love unique slaw recipes! Can't wait to try this out!

2. Tanvi said... September 12, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Really colorful Lisa...and looks very crunchy too
    Sinfully Spicy

3. cooperl788 said... September 12, 2010 at 1:19 PM

I'm really loving the Korean twist that you've been taking lately in your recipes. I cannot wait to try this!

4. aipi said... September 12, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Gorgeous n colorful..the name is really cool :)

5. jose manuel said... September 12, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Esta receta se ve preciosa, el color es muy bonito. Y tiene que estar muy sabrosa. Saludos

6. Fun and Fearless in Beantown said... September 12, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Now this is truly a Korean American dish! I love it!

7. Sommer J said... September 12, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Loving the colors! I can almost taste it! Sounds like an excellent BBQ spread over Labor Day! I want an invite to your next BBQ!

8. Satya said... September 12, 2010 at 8:26 PM

wow this slawchi looks soo colorful ...sounds easy n healthy too ..love to try it ..

Satya

9. Monet said... September 13, 2010 at 12:17 AM

What a creative and colorful slaw recipe. I love how you used agave nectar too...I bet that sweetness adds a great layer of flavor. Thanks for sharing with us!

10. Shabitha Karthikeyan said... September 13, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Sounds easy and healthy. I love it !!!

11. Kay Heritage said... September 13, 2010 at 12:46 AM

What beautiful photo and recipe! Came to your blog through Foodgawker. Great to "meet" you!

12. MaryMoh said... September 13, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Lovely colour. Looks healthy and delicious.

13. Joudie's Mood Food said... September 13, 2010 at 8:41 AM

I love cabbage and find that it is so versatile and can manage quite strong seasoning as it is quite bland. I just made a really nice slaw with white cabbage and red, with a cumin infused dressing. It was delicous to accompany my tandoori chicken. I am also going to make this as it looks so good. I love the flavours you have used! Just perfect. YummY!

14. Sarah Naveen said... September 13, 2010 at 9:39 AM

nice clicks..looks so yummy!!love the colors..

15. ~Lisa~ said... September 13, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Thank you!

16. foodieinberlin.com said... September 13, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Some people think cabbage is a dirty word, personally - I am a cabbage lover! I like the colours in your salad.

17. Federica said... September 13, 2010 at 4:08 PM

che bello! colorato e invitante!!!sempre bravissima!baci!

18. Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron said... September 13, 2010 at 5:56 PM

that sure goes well with beef tofu burgers!

19. naomi said... September 13, 2010 at 7:38 PM

I love this and love it more for the kimchi-espque flavoring.

You are right the purple adds a nice punch of color.

20. Mama Hen said... September 14, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Yummy! I would love to try this! You know the ginger dressing I like is for a green salad. Have a great night Lisa! Your new picture of the family is great!

Mama Hen

21. Pam @ Kitchen Cookware said... September 14, 2010 at 4:11 AM

Thanks for this recipe, sometimes I find Kimchi to be more spicy, this way I can control the spicyness of it. Colors are simply amazing on this slaw. Thanks.

22. Luciana said... September 14, 2010 at 7:37 AM

I love this recipe my dear!!! it's very colorful!!! compliments!!! kiss.. :-p

23. Kelly @ The Startup Wife said... September 16, 2010 at 3:08 AM

Looks SO good. I've been making a lot of Korean-inspired dishes lately (and some actual Korean dishes-soondoobu jiggae has been on our regular rotation) and this looks like a GREAT addition. I'm definitely going to try it.

24. Octovus said... September 17, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Yum! We will be making this again. I love kimchi but this is a nice FRESH alternative. Makes great leftovers the next day, too, after the flavours marinate.

-Adrian