Monday, August 23, 2010

Homemade Blackberry Jam

I love going to my local farm to pick fresh fruit. My mom, auntie and grandma would take us to local farms and we'd pick cucumbers, peppers, basically whatever we didn't grow in our little garden at home or in front of our restaurant, we'd find at the farm.

Since my son was born, I find its important to show him simple things like where our fruits and produce come from. I'd ultimately like to have my own garden one day. I think my love would get a kick out of seeing the fruits of his labor hehe.

My neighbors sons recently told me that they have a little garden in their back yard. The boys were telling me a bunny rabbit has been breaking into their yard and stealing their strawberries. How cute is that? They go out every morning to water it and check on the progress. I'm sure they feel a sense of accomplishment. Actually, I know they do. You should see the excitement in their faces when they tell me stories of their garden.

Giving your child a simple and educational task such as gardening truly enables them to learn not only about biology but the importance of caring and nurturing, even a plant. And hopefully they'll use what they learned and apply it to life.

I found this very informative webpage on where you can find local farms to pick your own fruits. The site also showcased a step by step tutorial on how to make jams and jellies. I had to improvise as I did not have all the items listed to make my own jelly/jam. All I had was the pectin, fresh blackberry and jars. I did not remove the seeds in the blackberries.

Please click Pick Your Own for the full tutorial and find out where you can pick your own...

The jam went perfectly with my French Baguettes. Look at my love, he loved it! My first jam session. teehee. We'll be enjoying ours for months to come. Enjoy!

Oh and if you haven't done so, please click here for your chance to win a $40 gift certificate from CSN! Contest ends this Wednesday the 25th at 12pm EST. What are you waiting for click here!

1. Ruth said... August 23, 2010 at 8:15 PM

awww that cute little boy!! i love the picture of him. Looks like he's enjoying mama's baguette...:)

2. Satya said... August 23, 2010 at 8:19 PM

black berry jam looks awesome ...i never ever made jam at home..thanks for sharing

Satya

3. cooperl788 said... August 23, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Yum, that looks delicious! I love blackberry jam, seeds or no, and on french bread is even better. No wonder your cutie snapped it up!

4. aipi said... August 23, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I love different kinds of jam but never really tried making them at home..Blackberry jam looks PERFECT..I am definitely book marking it :)
    Thanx for sharing!!
    Love the pic of your little boy ..he is adorable!!

5. Debbie said... August 23, 2010 at 10:27 PM

This is just what I was thinking about doing! I have been debating which fruit to jam, so thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

I never thought I would want a garden, but your comment about giving your son a sense of accomplishment makes me debate it though. Good luck if you decide to start one!

6. TV's Take said... August 23, 2010 at 10:48 PM

You have such a way of making food look so amazing! Thanks for sharing and stopping by Tvs take

7. Jen said... August 23, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Looks so delicious, Lisa!!

8. Monet said... August 23, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Yes...blackberry jam can be oh so good. My best friend made a jar before we left for Austin, and I just loved every slice I was able to slather with it. Your sweet boy made me smile!

9. Marisa said... August 24, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Nothing compares to when you can make something from freshly picked ingredients. It is fun when you can go out and do it, but it is especially rewarding when it's from your own garden. I think starting your own is a great idea and I imagine that kids would find it really exciting. I wish I could be sucessful at one myself. The jam looks fanstastic and I am so impressed with your photos!

10. Sommer J said... August 24, 2010 at 2:16 AM

This is something I've been wanting to do for a month now! I am all excited about jarring the season's produce and keeping it tucked away in my pantry. I still haven't tried blackberries!

Oh and I tried the whole garden thing this spring, I totally failed. It started out nicely at least! I have a teeny tiny yard anyway.

11. jose manuel said... August 24, 2010 at 3:20 AM

Que suerte tienes, las moras son muy dificiles de conseguir por aquí. Y encima una mermelada casera, que cosa tan rica.

12. alison said... August 24, 2010 at 9:41 AM

yumm,delicious!and the little boy is so cute!

13. The Urban Baker said... August 24, 2010 at 9:49 AM

oh how I love berry picking. And blackberry jam is one of my favorites. Looks perficet!

14. Cooking Gallery said... August 24, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Everyone around seems to be making jams...;)! Hey, but you have done a fabulous job, I think. Thumbs up!!

15. Angel said... August 24, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Hi there! I am a new follower, I found you through Mama's little Nestwork! Some of the recipes and foods you have posted look amazing. I am so excited to try some of them with my daughter!! Especially the smoothie recipes, I love how you found a way to get veggies in there. Your little guy is absolutely adorable! Have a wonderful week!! :-)

16. Chef Dennis said... August 24, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Blackberry jam will always be my favorite! my mother use to make it for me, the only jam she did make. We had fields of wild blackberries growing all around our house while I was growing up, I use to make extra money picking and selling flats of berries to a local produce company.
    I think its great that you are giving your son so many memories..
    thanks for sharing!

17. baking.serendipity said... August 24, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Delicious...especially on these baguettes! My husband loves blackberry jam...he would be all about this recipe!

18. Hannah said... August 25, 2010 at 1:28 AM

OMG, Blackberry jam is my favorite! I used to go blackberry picking with my Grandmother every summer! I haven't done it in forever, I could really use some homemade jam right now! Yummy. I hope you are having a great week!

BTW, I love the picture of you little man eating the banquette! He is too pickin cute!

19. Ed (weekendfoodprojects) said... August 25, 2010 at 8:34 AM

I am so glad you are teaching your children those lessons early. Great pictures as always!

20. Lauren Zabaneh said... August 25, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Lisa! That photo of the jars of jam is just stunning! Great job. I love blackberries, but they don't seem to like me too well.

Having a garden this year was a blast. The kids are at the age where they can appreciate it. They loved picking cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes. They got to carry the big bowls out to harvest huge quantities of basil. So fun! They also loved piling the cucumbers into my apron and snacking on tomatoes as we walk back into the house. A garden is a blessing. Next year we are going to expand it for sure!

21. Mama Hen said... August 25, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Delicious! Lisa you never stop amazing me with all of these yummy recipes and ideas! Have a great day!

Mama Hen

22. Pacheco Patty said... August 25, 2010 at 8:20 PM

I love your blackberry jam in the sweet little jars, perfect for giving away as gifts, I need to make a trip to the hardware store or Target to pick up some. You are always an inspiration Lisa, thanks!

23. ~Lisa~ said... August 26, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Thank you all. Sorry I didn't have step by step photos. It was early that morning and I lunched on the photos. The jam is really good. Hope you get to make some too (=

24. Gift Hampers said... March 15, 2011 at 12:40 PM

YUM YUM YUM!!!!! That looks sooooo good!!