Monday, August 30, 2010

Gluten Free Brown Rice Crispy Treats

Today's the big day. My lil man starts pre-school. I've been a nervous wreck all weekend. Normally a super early riser, my love actually slept til passed 7 this morning. Meanwhile, I've been awake since 5:30 waiting for him to get up.

To start the school year off, I made brown rice crispy treats for his classmates and teachers. He liked the idea and so far seems excited for school. We decided that the hubs take him to school only because my son is used to seeing his dad leave and come back. Me, i'll just be at home hoping that my love has a great first day at school. *fingers crossed*

When I reached out to my friends on Facebook about how to handle my sons first day away from me. They gave me some really great advice. One particular advice was to give him something that reminds him of me. My dad bought him a gold bracelet with his name engraved on it for his 1st birthday. And thought it would be the perfect little gift to give him as a reminder of me, his mommy and his daddy while at school. We shall see.

Kellogs Rice Krispies Recipe with modifications
1 Bag of Mini Marshmallows (about 10 oz)
3-1/2 tbsp Butter
6 Cups of Crispy Brown Rice Cereal

1. Melt the butter and marshmallows completely in a large enough pan to fit the cereal too.

2. Mix in the crispy brown rice cereal and coat well. Spray your pan with some non-stick baking spray.

3. Press the rice crispy mixture into a pan of your choice. Take wax paper and press evenly to mold the crispy treats and allow to cool. Flip pan over to release the crispy treats.

4. Cut up the treats, wrap in saran wrap and tie a cute little bow!

Here's to a great school year! Enjoy my friends!

1. Federica said... August 30, 2010 at 8:59 AM

wow Lisa che bella idea golosa!!!sempre bravissima!!!baci!!!

2. jose manuel said... August 30, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Una idea muy rica y buena, estos cereales me encantan.
    saludos

3. Satya said... August 30, 2010 at 10:52 AM

ya i know today must be long day for ur ,time will pass very slowly ...ur little one looks very cute ,btw thw rice crispy looks very perfect n beautiful ...perfect treat for all the kids ...

Satya

4. Amy K. said... August 30, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Awesome post. My son starts preschool next week and am crossing fingers and toes that it will be a great experience. Marshmallow treats are my son's favorite! I will have to look for the puffed brown rice today at Whole Foods. Have you ever made marshmallow from scratch?

5. whatsfordinneracrossstatelines said... August 30, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Adorable, I'm sending you a hug, I know how hard it is. He will love preschool. The treats are a great way for him to make new friends. I've never seem the puffed brown rice, thanks for the tip! He looks very handsome btw!

6. Cooking Gallery said... August 30, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I love how you wrapped each bar of the rice crispies...! Very pretty:)!

7. Sommer J said... August 30, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I hope the little guy had a great first day and you were able to relax some! I still kind stay after, the teachers have to kick me out sometimes haha. But it's good for the kiddos and us!

Perfect idea making Gluten-Free treats just in case there was a child or teacher with a wheat allergy! They look great, and I love the way you packaged them. Cute!

8. Mama Hen said... August 30, 2010 at 12:40 PM

What a great idea Lisa! It looks so cute in the plane! That was a good idea to have your husband take him. Good thinking. I hope it helped. I think all of us moms are nervous wrecks! Have a great day!

Mama Hen

9. I'm a full-time mummy said... August 30, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Wow! What a cute and creative touch by tying that ribbon on each rice crispy! Love it! So how was his 1st day at school?

10. ~Lisa~ said... August 30, 2010 at 1:31 PM

@ Federica, thank you bella! Your ice cream sandwiches looks so delicious!

@ Jose, gracias. I'm now craving your avocado salad.

@ Satya, thank you. He did really well. There was some crying but he enjoyed it too! Thank goodness (=

@ Amy, good luck mama! I haven't made my own marshmallows yet but I definitely have to look into it! I hope your son does well in school next week. My fingers will be crossed for you (=

@ Thanks Gina! Gina right or is this Robbyn? He did well for his frist day. I'm a happy mom right now. He's fast asleep! My husband said he handed out the treats to his classmates.

@ Cooking gallery thank you! And congrats on your top 9! The dish looked fantastic.

@ Sommer, hehe thanks mama. He did really well which makes me happy. The treats were a hit!

@ Thank you mama hen for the support (=

@ Full time mommy, he did so well! Thank you so much for asking (=

11. Shabitha Karthikeyan said... August 30, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Rice crispies looks so cute..That too the first pic is too cute. Hope your son had great first day !!!

12. Angel said... August 30, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Looks yummy!! Stop by Chasing Serenity and claim your BLOG AWARD!! :-) I love your blog!

Have a great week!
    Angel

13. Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron said... August 30, 2010 at 5:45 PM

awww that;s so sweet of you to share these little cutie with his friends and teachers at school! He will be so proud of his mommy! Time sure flies, doesn't it? First day at school, then high school, college, and work. Soon before you know he will introduce you to his girlfriend :D okay I should stop haha.

Love the idea of a ribbon you did for the treats. They are so cute!

14. Kayla said... August 30, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Your little guy is so cute! What a great idea with the rice crispies!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Glad I'm not the only one that loves fall...ready for it to be here! My husband and I were able to pick blueberries a few times this year. I love picking fresh fruit!
    Have a great week! I hope your son enjoyed his first day of school! :)

Kayla
    www.mybellababyshop.blogspot.com

15. Magic of Spice said... August 30, 2010 at 8:22 PM

What wonderful treats...Oh they do grow up fast...but you just wait, he will be offering cooking tips to his classmates in no time :)

16. Chef Dennis said... August 30, 2010 at 9:11 PM

now how cute were those treats! I do love rice krispy treats, what a great way to send him off to school, not only did he know he was loved but everyone who enjoyed one of the treats knew you were a cool mom!!

17. Ruth said... August 30, 2010 at 9:18 PM

so awesome!!

18. Small Burst said... August 30, 2010 at 10:33 PM

we're a rice crispy eatin family but don't make it as often as i would like to. I love this brown rice version lots and will feel a little better when I'm indulging in these yummy treats. Although I think most of the guilt comes from marshmallows!

19. Monet said... August 30, 2010 at 10:39 PM

I don't know if these crispy treats could be displayed in a cuter way. What a wonderful little gift to send off with you precious son. I hope you both had a great day, and I'm sure he will remember how sweet his mommy was for years to come!

20. Food Lover said... August 31, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Looks great, and it's very simple, thanks :)

21. ~Lisa~ said... August 31, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Thank you all. He did well and the treats were a huge hit.

22. aipi said... September 1, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Awwww..my daughter also just started preschool..Isn't it totally awesome!!
    Glad to hear he enjoyed his first day:)
    Rice crispies look great ..loved your cute presentation..

23. Eastlyn and co. said... September 2, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Your little love looks handsome on his first day of school. Good call letting the hubs take him-probably less stressful for him and you. LOL. I'm glad he had a good first day and everyone survived! -E