I was craving cookies. And instead of dinner, I made cookies. Huge cookies. Colossal Mudslide Cookies to be exact. I don't think I've ever heard of a mudslide cookie before so I had to give it a try.
Mudslide cookies get their name due to the "mud-like" consistency of the batter. You can almost pour it. Lets just say its not your average cookie batter. But the results were mouth watering.
3/4 Cup plus 2 tbsp Cake Flour
1 tbsp Baking Powder
1/8 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Powdered Instant Coffee (I used Decaf)
1 tbsp Boiling Water
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
7 oz Unsweetened Chocolate, Coarsely Chopped
6 oz Bittersweet Chocolate, Coarsely Chopped
8 tbsp (1 stick) Unsalted Butter
7 Large Eggs
2-3/4 Cups Sugar
2 Cups Chopped Walnuts or Pecans
1-1/2 Cups Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
1. Lightly spray cookie sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350º degrees.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl and set aside. My favorite sous chef is demonstrating his expert skills. Combine the instant coffee and boiling water to make a paste. Blend in the vanilla extract.
3. Melt the unsweetened chocolate, chopped bittersweet chocolate, and the butter in a saucepan over low heat or in a bowl in the microwave in 15 to 20 second intervals. Gently Stir.
4. In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat together the eggs, sugar, and coffee paste mixture on high speed until light in texture and thick, 6-8 minutes. Add the chocolate mixture with the machine running on medium speed. On low speed, mix in the dry ingredients until just blended. Mix in the walnuts and chocolate chips until blended. Scrape down the bowl as needed during mixing to blend evenly.
5. Using a 1/4 cup measure as a scoop, fill it with dough, level it, and drop the dough onto a prepared cookie sheet, leaving 3-4 inches between the cookies.
6, In batches, bake the cookie until they are cracked on top but still slightly moist, rotating the pans as necessary to bake the cookies evenly, 14 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool slightly on the baking sheet before transferring them to wire racks to cool completely.
Now take a bite and enjoy the chewy, chocolaty, deliciousness of these Colossal Mudslide Cookies. My love sure did. Happy baking!