Tuesday, August 3, 2010

French Chocolate Macarons

I did it. I finally tried my hand at french dark chocolate macarons. I've been reading David Lebovitz's blog and found a chocolate macaron recipe that I had to try (please click the link for the full recipe and techniques). I must admit, mine didn't turn out as pretty as Davids but they were so delicious. The crunchy and chewy texture of the macaron and the rich dark chocolate filling was amazing. I now understand why these little treats were so darn popular. This particular recipe had some great tips on how to make the perfect macarons. And I have a confession, I failed the first time and made a second batch right away. Mine had these horrible cracks. Even with the second batch! There were only a few that were decent. Probably because I didn't let it sit for an hour or so or use double cookie sheets. But they were delicious, just not so pretty.

David's recipe stated that the oven should be at 350º degrees. But after seeing those ugly cracks on my macarons for the second time, and reading other blogs, I suggest lowering the temperature to 300º degrees and baking for 10-15 minutes (and checking to see if they are done). I think that everyones oven is different so when you're making these, you'll have to experiment. Over folding or not whipping the egg whites enough will also result in epic failure.

A great tip from David with regards to filling the pastry bag is to place the bag in a tall glass to fill it with the batter. Genius and mess free.

He also suggested rapping the the baking sheet hard on the countertop to flatten the batter before baking. Another important tip is to allow the piped macaron to sit for 2 hours before baking them.

I am determined to make the perfect macarons. But in the meantime, I wanted to share my first macaron experience with all of you. David stated that it took him seven tries to finally get the results he was looking for. I'm not looking forward to the number of attempts I must execute before getting the result I want. But what I am looking forward to is the day when my macarons come out perfectly smooth with perfect feet. Please read David Lebovitz's recipe for the chocolate macaron recipe and give it a try! Happy baking my foodie friends!

1. Tara said... August 3, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Good job on the macarons!! They look delicious!

2. Marisa said... August 3, 2010 at 11:01 PM

I think you did a great job and I'm sure they tasted wonderful! I plan on trying macarons for the first time too soon! I've seen so many recipes for them since I started blogging--I want to be part of the party too! :-D Plus, I just love the way they look.

3. Jean said... August 4, 2010 at 1:18 AM

Congrats on your beautiful macarons. I still haven't mustered the courage to try them.

Great photo. :-)

4. Monet said... August 4, 2010 at 1:23 AM

So elegant! I've been wanting to make macarons, but I've been too intimidated. I want to give them a try now...they look too beautiful to pass up!

5. Hannah said... August 4, 2010 at 1:56 AM

They look great and they look so tasty too! I don't even want to imagine what mine would look like LOL. They would be a mess LOL

6. jose manuel said... August 4, 2010 at 3:50 AM

Estupendos. Deliciosos

7. ~Lisa~ said... August 4, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Thanks everyone! I am so determined to make them look better (= but looks aside, they were delicious.

8. cooperl788 said... August 4, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Yum! I love all things chocolate-related!

9. Kate said... August 4, 2010 at 9:37 AM

They look delicious! One day, I'll make macs of my own... one day. :)

I recommend checking out the vast Italian and French method 101s that Mrs. Humble has on Not So Humble Pie.
    - Italian Meringue 101: Part 1 (links to Part 2)
    - French Meringue 101

Kate

10. ~Lisa~ said... August 4, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Kate! Thank you for the site! She is amazing. I'll be following her tips (=

11. roxan said... August 4, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Lisa i think they look great! i'm always impressed by anyone who takes on the macaron... I'm still way too intimidated.

12. baking.serendipity said... August 4, 2010 at 11:08 AM

I have been wanting to make macaroons for a little while now, but was scared of how difficult they seemed. It looks like you did a great job with yours!

13. Pam said... August 4, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Nicely done! I could eat way too many of these beauties.

14. Evan @swEEts said... August 4, 2010 at 5:26 PM

These look fabulous! I keep wanting to try macaroons, but putting them off because of the humidity right now in Texas.. but once again you've inspired me to try something!

15. ajcabuang04 said... August 4, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Your macaroons look flawless!!They look so perfect! I love your pictures!!

16. ~Lisa~ said... August 5, 2010 at 12:04 PM

@ Roxan thank you! I should have let them sit but I was too anxious and placed them in the oven right away.

@ Sarah, thank you so much for the encouragement.

@ Pam, I'm still enjoying a couple a day!

@ Evan, please try and let me know how it turns out.

@ AJ, aww you're sweet! Thanks for the kudos!

17. hannah {thepastrykook} said... August 6, 2010 at 2:55 AM

these macarons look like a hit!

18. ~Lisa~ said... August 6, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Thanks Hannah!

19. Sommer J said... August 20, 2010 at 6:40 AM

Oh my goodness, Lisa; I've been wanting to make these for a while, but I wanted to make them at the perfect time. I have to many little distractions around here ;-) David's recipe looks the best to me, too. Now that I've seen you do this I'm even more excited. They look awesome! I ate some chocolate macarons in France and they're to die for!

20. sadaf said... August 30, 2010 at 8:08 PM

hi lisa these are almost perfect macaroon I have tried two times both time i leave for an hour before baking but a big disaster i did every In my fist attempt I tried helen recipe but disaster second time I tried a recipe from "not so humble pie " all steps done carefully but they poped from top and no feet was result I just want to ask that what kind of papper you used to line trays. actually parchment is not available thats why i used Wax papper.

21. ~Lisa~ said... August 30, 2010 at 8:30 PM

@ Sadaf, Try Davids recipe. Although he does say that chocolate ones are harder to make. I used parchment paper. Hmm not a good idea to use wax paper for baking. Parchment or baking mat work nicely. Do not bake for an hour. Only 10-15 minutes between 300-350 degrees depending on your oven. I'd go for 325 bake for 13 minutes and check. Separate your egg whites the night before and take out the morning of when you'll be baking them. And allow to sit to room temp. After whisking your egg whites, they should have peaks and when you turn your whisk over, it should not drop. Folding the batter into the egg whites is also very important. You have to be gentle and use a folding method the entire time until blended, do not over fold. Allow the piped batter to sit for at least 30 minutes to an hour before baking. Good luck Sadaf!