Friday, August 13, 2010

Blackberry TART Frozen Yogurt

A couple of days ago, my love and I went to the farm. We played hooky from our mommy and me summer classes. He insisted we go pick some blackberries. And so we did.

As usual, instead of helping me pick the blackberries, he picked one and popped one in his cute little mouth and then repeated the process. And by the time I had filled my bucket with blackberries I looked over at him and he had a nice black mustache around his mouth. He's quite the character.

Blackberries are rich in antioxidant properties. They help the body fight against free radicals which in turn helps to avoid cancerous diseases, especially breast and cervical cancer. Helps with digestion, sore throats and mouth irritations. They're also known to help with aging. Not only are they beneficial to your health, they're absolutely juicy and delicious. Look at these beauties!

2 Cups 0% Fage Greek Yogurt
1 Cups Fat Free Grass Fed Buttermilk
2 Cup Fresh Blackberries
1 Lemon
1/2 Cup Sugar or other sweetener

1. Place the blackberries, the entire squeezed lemon juice and 1/4 cup of sugar on medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer until the blackberries are soft and breaks apart.

2. Pour the blackberry sauce into a mesh sieve. Take a fork and press down on the blackberries to extract all the juices. Two cups of cooked fresh blackberries yields 1 cup of juice. Chill in freezer to cool.

3. Once the blackberry juice is chilled add to the yogurt and buttermilk along with 1/4 cup of the remaining sugar and blend well.

Look at the beautiful and vibrant color of the blackberries. Nature at its best. Who needs food coloring!

4. Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and follow your manufacturers instructions. I used my KitchenAid on speed 2 for 20 minutes.

For those who do not have ice cream makers this is what you do click here.

Enjoy some right away folks! I still can't get over the beautiful color the blackberries yielded. Absolutely stunning!

1. Buckeroomama said... August 13, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Stopping over from Mama's Little Nestwork.

She's right... you have a most phenomenal blog. I love your recipes! Off to check out some more.

Your newest follower. =)

2. Monet said... August 13, 2010 at 11:14 PM

You are amazing! These look so beautiful...I love the glasses you displayed them in. And of course, the tiny blackberries on top! I am so impressed (as always)

3. Judy said... August 14, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Frozen yogurt looks so yummy! Ditching mommy & me for blackberry picking sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love to do that with our family some day.

4. Liz said... August 14, 2010 at 2:05 AM

I love the way you combine your cooking with memories of your son in your blog...following ya from the Nestwork!

5. Padhu said... August 14, 2010 at 2:44 AM

That looks fabulous!! Love the color

6. Happy Mummy said... August 14, 2010 at 3:18 AM

woww!!! this look so so sweet & yummy! I must try this recipe soon!

You are truly a versatile & gifted mummy and your family is so blessed to have you ;)

7. {meant to be} MAMA said... August 14, 2010 at 3:48 AM

Great pics -- everything looks delicious! I've just discovered blackberries (I know, where have I been for 28 years?!) and they're SO good! Looking forward to trying this.

Following from MBC, I started @ the bottom of the list because members were newer...like me. :) http://meanttobemama.blogspot.com if you could come check me out too!

8. adriel, from the mommyhood memos said... August 14, 2010 at 6:17 AM

omg, you have made me salivate with this post! i'm going to pass this recipe onto my hubs and see if he'll make it for me. ;) he's the kitchen extraordinaire in this family! amaaaazingly yummy looking and sounding. {drool}

9. Cooking Gallery said... August 14, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Your frozen yogurt looks soo refreshing...! And your son is very cute :)!

10. Magic of Spice said... August 14, 2010 at 11:42 AM

These are gorgeous Lisa... absolutely stunning! You are so right about the colors that truly fresh produce can produce in a dish. Love it, and love the photos of little man too:)

11. Natasha said... August 14, 2010 at 6:33 PM

This looks delicious!!
    Natasha from: http://days-of-natasha.blogspot.com/

12. Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron said... August 15, 2010 at 12:59 AM

beautiful dessert Lisa!!! Did I tell you your little boy is SO adorable! Makes me wanna have kids soon ^^

I'm glad you linked up the method for no-ice cream maker required! Guess what, near my office has a lot of blackburries, and I think it's time for me to pick aka steal them hehe!

13. Kim - Liv Life said... August 15, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Gorgeous, gorgeous colors!! I've seen the photo all over the place, nicely done. My family will truly enjoy this recipe!

14. Angus Beef said... August 15, 2010 at 3:24 AM

Mmm I love tart yogurt and to add blackberries in the mix sounds amazing for the summer. Congrats on getting top 9 today. Your posts really inspire me!

15. Trix said... August 15, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Congrats on Top 9 today! That sounds so delicious, and the photo is stunning.

16. Evan @swEEts said... August 15, 2010 at 9:56 AM

I'd skip out on class to pick blackberries any day! I've done ice cream and sorbet but not froyo- can't wait to try it.. and congrats on Top 9!!

17. Lauren Zabaneh said... August 15, 2010 at 10:17 AM

yay! top 9! great job mama! looks so good.

18. Pacheco Patty said... August 15, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Hey Lisa, Congratulations on your beautiful blackberry frozen yogurt, truly a beautiful frozen treat:-)

19. Torviewtoronto said... August 15, 2010 at 12:35 PM

looks delicious and congrats on being on the top 9 :)

20. Gree said... August 15, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Yum, this looks so good...and healthy! I just found your blog on Foodbuzz and I love it!

21. ~Lisa~ said... August 15, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Thank you everyone! I love tart frozen yogurt. Please try it (=

22. Liv Wan said... August 15, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Congrats on Top 9!!! Well done! ;)

23. Stacie said... August 16, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Following you from the Nestwork! I've been looking for something to do with all these blackberries! Looks delicious! Can't wait to try out some new recipes!

24. ~Lisa~ said... August 16, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Thanks Liv and Stacie (=

25. Anonymous said... August 16, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Hi, can you tell me where you get your grass fed buttermilk? I'd love to try that! thanks, Alissa

26. ~Lisa~ said... August 16, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Hey Alissa, I got the grass fed buttermilk at Wholefoods but you could use regular. Its up to you (=

27. Gitte said... August 16, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Lovely color, beautiful pictues and congrats on Top 9!!

28. Cameron said... August 17, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Oh my gosh seriously - yum!!!