Sunday, August 1, 2010

Asian Pork with Napa Cabbage & Carrot Slaw

My in laws were in town this weekend. So, I decided to cook a Asian style Pork dish with Napa Cabbage and Carrot Slaw recipe from one of my older Fine Cooking Magazines (with some modifications). I guess this dish is more of a asian fusion dish. Normally I would make the pork spicy by adding a Korean red pepper paste but this recipe used a soy sauce base with a bit of the asian garlic and chile sauce. My mother in law cannot take the heat from the red pepper paste nor can my son. So this marinade was the perfect trade off. The cabbage and carrot slaw went perfectly with the pork. The tangy and lightly sweet dressing in the slaw was delicious. I served it up with brown rice and the Simple Asparagus Side Dish
1 Large Pork Tenderloin (about 1-1/2 lb) trimmed (my market ran out of Pork Tenderloin so I opted for Pork Center Loins)
1/3 Cup Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup Rice Vinegar
3 tbsp Light Brown Sugar
2 tbsp Minced Garlic
1-1/2 tbsp Minced Ginger
1 tbsp Sesame Oil
1 lb Napa Cabbage (thinly sliced)
1 Cup Finely Grated Carrot (about 2 medium carrots)
4 Scallions (white & green parts thinly sliced)
5 tbsp Canola or Peanut Oil
Sea Salt
Toasted Sesame Seeds

1. Cut the pork into 1/2 inch thick medallions and trim any remaining fat.

2. Soy Sauce Mixture. In a 2 cup measuring cup, whisk the soy sauce, 2 tbsp rice vinegar, 2 tbsp brown sugar, garlic, ginger, 1/2 tbsp of sesame oil and 2 tsp of the garlic chile sauce.

3. Marinate 1/2 of the soy sauce mixture with the pork in a large bowl. Set aside the remaining soy sauce mixture for later. Let the pork marinate for about 30 minutes at room temperature or marinate in refrigerator for a couple of hours.

4. In a large bowl, toss the cabbage and carrot with half of the sliced scallions, 1 tbsp of canola or peanut oil, 1 tsp salt, 2 tbsp of the rice vinegar, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1/2 tbsp of sesame oil and 1 tsp of the garlic chile sauce. Toss and place in the refrigerator.

5. Heat a heavy based skillet over medium high heat with 2 tbsp of canola or peanut oil. Shake off excess sauce from the pork and place in skillet and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. I used my cast iron grill

6. Place the slaw in a large serving platter and top with the pork. Sprinkle the remaining scallions and some sesame seeds on top. Place the remaining soy sauce in a small bowl to use as a dipping sauce for the meat if need be and to use on the Simple Asparagus side dish. Serve with brown rice.

A flavorful Asian Style Pork with a fresh, light & crunchy cabbage and carrot slaw. A healthy, quick and delicious meal for any day. Happy cooking!

1. jose manuel said... August 1, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Deliciosa así la carne, me apunto tu receta para pendiente. saludos

2. Sofia's Ideas said... August 1, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Your cooking makes me miss my mommy so much! :)

3. Federica said... August 1, 2010 at 9:41 AM

buonissima questa carne!!complimenti!!ciao!

4. ~Lisa~ said... August 1, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Muchas Gracias Jose!

Thank you Sofia! I love that photo of your boy napping hehe.

Grazie Federica!

5. Pacheco Patty said... August 1, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Looks yummy, lucky family to have you preparing such a feast for everyone:-)

6. Kathleen said... August 1, 2010 at 1:39 PM

I swear I gain 10 pounds every time I read your blog Lisa. Love it though and this recipe actually looks easy enough for me to do!

7. Sommer J said... August 1, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Looks incredible!! I most certainly will give this a try. Especially as my children love Asian flavors and most of all PORK!

8. Val and Mani said... August 2, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Now I'm hungry. Looks like a great dish. We made Asian baked salmon last night in fact :)

9. ~Lisa~ said... August 2, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Thanks Patty, you're sweet (=

Kathleen, hehe you won't gain 10 pounds unless you eat my baked goods (=

Sommer, thanks it was yummy.

Thanks Val & Mani, I'll have to stop by and check out your salmon dish!

10. A Little Yumminess said... August 2, 2010 at 9:29 PM

this whole meal looks to mouthwatering!

11. tigerfish said... August 3, 2010 at 9:10 PM

This looks so good! Love the pairing with refreshing Napa Cabbage and Carrot Slaw :)

12. Ashley Leah said... October 6, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Just made this for dinner... didn't have the chili garlic sauce so I just added red pepper flakes and it worked! My husband went back for seconds and then thirds. Thanks for the great recipe.

13. dining table said... November 14, 2010 at 8:40 PM

This is going to be a perfect lunch! I am pretty sure that the whole family will love this. Thanks a lot.

14. Me, the hubby, plus 3 said... December 15, 2010 at 9:19 PM

I made this tonight and it was an instant hit! All the different flavors brought together... it was perfect! Thank you for making me look good!

15. kowarechatta said... January 19, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Quick, easy and delicious! This is sure to become a regular at my house. Thanks for sharing!

16. ~Lisa~ said... January 21, 2011 at 9:00 AM

@Me the hubby plus three & kowarechatta, so glad you enjoyed it!

17. Amber said... July 20, 2012 at 1:32 AM

This is my new favorite meal. I discovered it a few months ago and have already made it four or five times. Even my two year old loves the pork and asparagus...not too keen on anything cabbage or lettuce yet. :-) Thanks for sharing this. And hurray for pinterest!