Salmon and du Puy Lentils, thats what's for dinner tonight. A weekly salmon fix is a must in our household. We started off with a light Parisian Avocado and Pink Grapefruit Salad then we moved right along to the Salmon with Lentils dish. Both recipes are found in the Barefoot in Paris: Easy French Food You Can Make at Home cookbook. Tonight's dinner was fresh, light and most definitely, deliciously healthy. With all the baked goodies I've been making these days, meals must be lower in calories.
We all know the health benefits of Salmon. High in Omega 3 fatty acids, low in calories and high in protein. And the perfect pairing is this delicious du Puy Lentil dish. French du Puy lentils are green, a bit smaller than your average lentil, they hold there shape well and takes longer to cook. It is the most delicate of lentils and is low in fat, high in protein and fiber. But most importantly the hubs and my son gobbled it up.
1 Cup French Green Lentils, du Puy
1/8 Cup Good Olive Oil, plus extra for Salmon
1 Cup Chopped Yellow Onion
1 Cup Chopped Leeks (white and light green parts only)
1/2 tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
1 tsp Kosher Salt
3/8 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/2 tbsp Minced Fresh Garlic
3/4 Cup Chopped Celery
3/4 Cup Chopped Carrots
3/4 Low Sodium Chicken Stock
1 tbsp Tomato Paste
1 tbsp Good Red Wine Vinegar
2 (8 ounce) Center Cut Salmon Filets, Skin Removed
Chop all the vegetables the same size
1. Place the lentils in a heat proof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 15 minutes, then drain.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a sauté pan, add, onions, leeks, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
3. Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Add celery, carrots, chicken stock, lentils and tomato paste. Cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, until lentils are tender. Add the vinegar and season to taste.
4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
5. Heat a dry oven-proof sauté pan over high heat for 4 minutes. Meanwhile, rub both sides of the salmon fillets with olive oil and season the tops very liberally with salt and pepper.
4. When the pan is very hot, place the salmon fillets seasoning-side down in the pan and cook over medium heat without moving them for 2 minutes or until browned. Turn the fillets and place the pan in the oven for 5 minutes. Spoon a mound of lentils on each plate and place a salmon fillet on top. Serve hot.
A healthy and delicious meal that even a toddler would eat. Enjoy!