Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Salmon with du Puy Lentils

Salmon and du Puy Lentils, thats what's for dinner tonight. A weekly salmon fix is a must in our household. We started off with a light Parisian Avocado and Pink Grapefruit Salad then we moved right along to the Salmon with Lentils dish. Both recipes are found in the Barefoot in Paris: Easy French Food You Can Make at Home cookbook. Tonight's dinner was fresh, light and most definitely, deliciously healthy. With all the baked goodies I've been making these days, meals must be lower in calories.

We all know the health benefits of Salmon. High in Omega 3 fatty acids, low in calories and high in protein. And the perfect pairing is this delicious du Puy Lentil dish. French du Puy lentils are green, a bit smaller than your average lentil, they hold there shape well and takes longer to cook. It is the most delicate of lentils and is low in fat, high in protein and fiber. But most importantly the hubs and my son gobbled it up.

1 Cup French Green Lentils, du Puy
1/8 Cup Good Olive Oil, plus extra for Salmon
1 Cup Chopped Yellow Onion
1 Cup Chopped Leeks (white and light green parts only)
1/2 tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
1 tsp Kosher Salt
3/8 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/2 tbsp Minced Fresh Garlic
3/4 Cup Chopped Celery
3/4 Cup Chopped Carrots
3/4 Low Sodium Chicken Stock
1 tbsp Tomato Paste
1 tbsp Good Red Wine Vinegar
2 (8 ounce) Center Cut Salmon Filets, Skin Removed
Chop all the vegetables the same size

1. Place the lentils in a heat proof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 15 minutes, then drain.

2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a sauté pan, add, onions, leeks, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.

3. Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Add celery, carrots, chicken stock, lentils and tomato paste. Cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, until lentils are tender. Add the vinegar and season to taste.

4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

5. Heat a dry oven-proof sauté pan over high heat for 4 minutes. Meanwhile, rub both sides of the salmon fillets with olive oil  and season the tops very liberally with salt and pepper.

4. When the pan is very hot, place the salmon fillets seasoning-side down in the pan and cook over medium heat without moving them for 2 minutes or until browned. Turn the fillets and place the pan in the oven for 5 minutes. Spoon a mound of lentils on each plate and place a salmon fillet on top. Serve hot.

A healthy and delicious meal that even a toddler would eat. Enjoy!

1. cooperl788 said... July 28, 2010 at 7:58 PM

That looks delicious - it definitely looks like something Jeremy and I would enjoy!

2. Sommer J said... July 28, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Mmmm looks good! I love Ina Garten, must buy this book, too!

3. The Recipe Diva said... July 28, 2010 at 9:29 PM

This looks delicious!!! AND very healthy! Will definitely be on my dinner table soon!

4. Monet said... July 29, 2010 at 1:18 AM

A lovely, healthy dish. We try to eat salmon at least once a week too, and lentils are a favorite (especially when it starts to cool down).

5. ~Lisa~ said... July 29, 2010 at 7:02 AM

Thank you ladies. The salmon had a nice crispy layer and the lentils were yummy!

6. roxan said... July 29, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Ina Garten featured a salmon and puy lentil dish on barefoot contessa once that I tried to recreate... It didn't turn out nearly as good looking as yours did! Can I come over for dinner? :)

7. ~Lisa~ said... July 29, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Roxan, my sista, anytime! <3

8. Elyssa said... July 31, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Do you add the lentils at step #3 before you cover the pan or before that? Thanks for clarifying. This looks great! I might try to make it tomorrow night.

9. ~Lisa~ said... July 31, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Hi Elyssa, Good question. Add lentils with the celery, carrots, chicken stock and tomato paste, cover and simmer for 20 minutes until lentils are tender. Then add vinegar and season to taste. Hope that helps!

10. Mouthy One said... August 22, 2010 at 11:11 AM

This looks like a stunner to me! I'm always trying to get more legumes in my family's diet, and this is a keeper.

11. Kathryn said... August 25, 2010 at 5:43 PM

I LOVE salmon- that looks delish! My absolute favorite salmon dish is linguine with smoked salmon. It's definitely not healthy, but it tastes amazing!

12. Anonymous said... September 2, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Happened upon your blog because of this posting -- salmon and lentils is a favorite! I wanted to add my twist. I often buy frozen salmon fillets. If you brush some oil and a bit of pesto on your frozen fillet and put under the broiler, dinner is ready in 10 minutes. I have also had great success with canned lentils. Happy cooking!

13. Debbie said... September 2, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I have never had lentils, but this looks great since I do love Salmon! I would be interested in seeing a compilation of your cookbooks, you always mention a new cookbook and they all sound like something i need (WANT)!

Thanks!